What we're about
Canterbury, Herne Bay & Whitstable is one of 200 local CAMRA branches, covering the three main towns in the area plus outlying villages.
As well as supporting CAMRA's national and local campaigns, the branch has an active social calendar. We also hold monthly meetings to discuss CAMRA business, always at a pub in the branch area.
The branch area is home to the Kent Beer Festival (http://www.kentbeerfestival.com/) and we organise the CAMRA Cricket Tents at Kent County Cricket Club’s annual Cricket Weeks, held in Canterbury and Tunbridge Wells. See Cricket Tents (https://www.meetup.com/CAMRACanterbury/pages/21639342/Cricket_Tents/)
For our latest news, or If you have photos or information to share, then head over to our Meetup discussions (https://www.meetup.com/CAMRACanterbury/messages/boards/).
If you are visiting the branch see Public Transport (https://www.meetup.com/CAMRACanterbury/pages/21639372/Public_Transport/)
If you are not from the Canterbury, Herne Bay & Whitstable area, find out about your local CAMRA branch by visiting CAMRA near you: http://www.camra.org.uk
All Canterbury, Herne Bay & Whitstable Branch (CAMRA) members are encouraged to Join Us on Meetup so that you can RSVP for events, participate in discussions, and receive our branch news. If you wish to limit Meetup to only our branch emails follow the guidance here: http://bit.ly/CAMRACHWPrivacy
Find us on social media: Facebook (http://facebook.com/CAMRACanterbury) page or twitter @CAMRACanterbury
Join to learn about real ale but, most of all, to have some good social fun.
Upcoming events (3)
CAMRA CRICKET TENTS ARE BACK!
Yes, we will be running our popular CAMRA real ale tent at Kent’s Spitfire Cricket Ground, Old Dover Road, Canterbury from Sunday June 11 to Wednesday June 14. It’s during cricket festival week, and Kent will be playing Surrey in the County Championship match. Here are the things you need to know.
- The CAMRA tent is for CAMRA members and their guests only – it’s not open to the general public.
- Admission to the CAMRA tent is free. CAMRA members (show your membership card, please) need to sign themselves and their guests into the visitor’s book - as many guests as you like, within reasonable limits!
- You can join CAMRA at the tent. We also offer cricket-tent-only membership at a reduced price (£5 per annum)
- Admission to the CAMRA tent is free, but of course you will need to pay to get into the cricket ground (unless you are already a Kent CCC member). See the KCCC website, www.kentcricket.co.uk for admission details. Look under Tickets and Hospitality, then under LV=Insurance County Championship. It could be cheaper to get advance tickets or ticket bundles.
- The CAMRA tent will be open from 10am each day until after close of play (about 7pm). The cricket starts at 11am. Keep an eye on cricket news to check that the match hasn’t ended early. Remember that County Championship matches may not last for 4 days. The CAMRA tent will not open on the fourth day if the match has already ended.
- We have our own private seating at the front of our tent, overlooking the pitch. If all the seats are taken, you are welcome to carry your drinks to other seating areas, but please ask us for plastic glasses if you are moving away from the tent.
- We serve cask beer, draught cider, wine, soft drinks, tea and coffee. this year we've got 28 different beers, from Kent breweries, and a cider from Kentish Pip, but we only have 4 beers on at any one time to maintain quality. Usually a bitter, a best bitter, a golden ale and a dark ale. As one beer runs out, a new one is put on.
- We are not allowed to do food (except for crisps and homemade cakes), but there are plenty of food outlets on the cricket ground.
- We take cash or card payments. Beer is £4 a pint, so is cider. We need to cover the hire of the tent and frontage!
- All the surplus money from the tent is donated to 2 charities. This year the charities are Cancer Research UK and Alzheimer’s Research UK. We welcome donations of beer and cider from brewers and cider producers, and any offers of sponsorship are welcome.
- The cricket ground and our tent are accessible.
- Thanks to Denis Palmer for the photo.
- For any questions, contact Gill Keay. Email [masked], or ring[masked] or[masked] (text messages are usually best as I never seem to hear the phone)
- Gill K.
- Nicholas B.
- 8 attendees
We have a minibus to take us to the beer festival at Kent and East Sussex Railway station Tenterden on Saturday June 17.
There is a cost of £20 for a seat on the bus. We are limited to 19 people and 10 seats are already taken
Please email to confirm your seat and to make payment to our treasurer.
We will meet at Canterbury bus station at 11.15 and take the bus to Tenterden arriving around 12.30.
We will leave at 6.30pm
Entry to the festival is free with your CAMRA card
- Louise C.
- Nicholas B.
- Gill K.
- 7 attendees
We are having a trip to Rye to welcome Charles and Terrie back to Canterbury from Oregon
We'll go by train (strikes permitting)
Train from Canterbury West to Ashford where we change to travel down to Rye.
Canterbury West 10.37 to
Ashford International 10.58
Then 11.25 from Ashford to Rye arriving 11.46.
Meet up in Ashford if this is easier as not everyone will come from Canterbury.
Train back leaves Rye at 18.48
back to Canterbury via Ashford arriving at Canterbury West at 19.30
We will visit 6 pubs definitely including the Pipemakers Arms, The Waterworks and the Standard. We will also probably visit the Mermaid, The Globe Inn and the Ship.
- Louise C.
- Stu R.
- Denis P
- 12 attendees
Past events (227)
- Louise C.
- Gill K.
- John T.
- 6 attendees