addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The Colorado Springs RPG Meetup Message Board The Colorado Springs RPG Meetup Discussion Forum › Anyone played Metal Magic and Lore?

Anyone played Metal Magic and Lore?

A former member
Post #: 2
I saw this at gamer's haven last night, and was wondering if anyone has used this system. Any feedback or reviews? Sounded fun and I was thinking of trying them, but thought this is a good place to throw this question out there.
Stu
LocalMenace
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 372
Wow--how did I miss this post?
I'm a huge MML fan and ran a number of demos after it came out. I dust it off every year or so, but I haven't found much interest in a campaign. My NaNoWriMo project this year was based on the campaign setup I would use if there were more interest.

If you're still interested, let me know, and we'll see if we can find a couple more players.
A former member
Post #: 4
I still don't have the book yet (although I will soon I hope). I wrote this because all the reviews I read seemed to rate it as fast paced, action filled, and rules heavy - which seems to be oxymoron-ish to me. I was hoping to find someone on the boards who had played this and could tell me more about it than those crappy reviews?

What are your impressions?
Stu
LocalMenace
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 374
Well. I posted a crappy review on rpg.net. It sounded like a shill, but it wasn't. I'm just not very good at writing reviews.

It plays somewhere between Runequest and Rolemaster. It is somewhat rules heavy, with lots of detail--particularly about armor. I like that. If I were in a sword fight with an orc, I'd definitely be concerned about my armor. There are a number of hit locations, as suits the focus on armor. There are number of different ways you can get hurt. Sometimes, you can just get beat to hell inside your armor, without a blow ever really getting through. Sometimes you wear each other out before anyone's dead. Sometimes a cheekguard fails and you drive a guy's face through the other side of his head.

But all of that is handled pretty easily with your character sheet and your armor sheet. There is one hit location table to consult. There are no pages of thrice-nested crit tables as there can be on Rolemaster. There are a number of details to remember round-to-round, like how many rounds you can go before you're fatigued. There are a few environmental factors to consider, like rules for having high ground or hitting from behind. But all of these are fairly consistent percentile adjustments toi your attacks--they aren't whole rule sub-systems. In that way, I'd say that it's as involved, but easier to learn than D&D4.

It's a percentile system, but unlike Runequest, where your skills go from 1-100 and above, and task difficulty becomes a multiplier, your skills represent a narrower range and the inherent difficulty of the task represents an additive modifier. I like both systems just fine, but MML makes a little more sense to me. I find it easy and intuitive. Magic, combat, and everything work on the same system, so even though there can be a large number of modifiers and details, the system itself is easy to learn.

That's where I think there's a perceived disconnect between the heaviness of the rules and their ease of use.

I will say that it doesn't honestly become fast-paced until you learn the game. Once you're familiar with it, and all your favorite details are second-nature, it really does move along pretty quickly. This would be my very favorite game for running a fantasy game that wanted to feel like real life. Like Traveller for sci-fi. I wouldn't turn to it for over-the-top high-gonzo shennannigans. Probably keep Arduin for that. But for a game where you need to know how much food to take for your horse for a month's journey, or what condition the quilting under your plate mail is in, I don't think you can beat the combination of detail and simplicity in MML.