addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Calgary .net User Group Message Board Calgary .net User Group Discussion Forum › Canadian Developer Winter Connection

Canadian Developer Winter Connection

Simon T.
user 14642563
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Hi everybody,
Jonathan Rozenblit asked me to pass on this e-mail to you.
Don't forget we have a windows phone event on Tuesday and then a free full day Azure camp on Saturday the 1st of March. We're looking forward to seeing you at both events.
For those that don’t already know me, allow me to introduce myself. I’m Jonathan Rozenblit, your developer community connection at Microsoft Canada. Thanks for giving me a few minutes of your time to check in and let you know what’s new and exciting for developers working on the Microsoft platform.

Continuous Training Made Easy
Much like continuous integration is built into your development workflow, continuous training should be built into your career development plans. Thankfully, the folks at Microsoft Virtual Academy take that into account and continuously push out new courses for you to take. Here’s a few new ones that have been added recently that are quite good:

• Windows Azure – Designing Applications for Windows Azure Jump Start, Windows Azure Storage – Design and Implementation, Mobile Apps to IoT: Connected Devices with Windows Azure
• Windows 8.1 – Developer Training: Geek Edition, HTML5 App Development Fundamentals
• Visual Studio - What's New in Visual Studio 2013 Jump Start
• Non-Microsoft specific – JavaScript Fundamentals for Absolute Beginners

Remember, this is training made easy – as in everything is broken down into modules, so take them one, or two, or three at a time. Whatever your schedule allows.

Reading Highlights
As much as I would love to read everything that is available online (most of which I know will definitely help me do what I do better), there’s just simply no time to do so. As such, often times I rely on curated reading highlights to narrow down for me what’s important and what’s trending. Chances are you’re in the same boat, so I thought I’d do the same here and share with you a few trending posts that I believe would be of interest to you:

Website to App — The Web App Template Simplifies Windows App Development
C# async and await: Why Do We Need Them?
Browser Link - A Web Developer's New Best Friend
Be a Productive Coder with Productivity Power Tools 2013
F12 - Your Batman Utility Belt Best Visualized
A bulletproof phone? Windows Phone 8 protects your data!
Security Risks and Recommendations for Mobile Apps

Breakpoint
If you haven’t had a chance to check out Breakpoint yet, the first two episodes are now available, with new ones being streamed live the last Friday of every month. On Breakpoint, Paul Laberge and I explore the depths of Visual Studio. Everywhere else you get chatter and demos about things using Visual Studio, but on Breakpoint, the chatter and demos about Visual Studio and how it enables cool things. How’s that for you for a twist? Put it in your calendars, tune in, and join the conversation.

For Your Non-Microsoftie Endeavours… Well Almost
Hey! There’s nothing wrong with having endeavours outside of the Microsoft platform. You didn’t think that you’d hear that from me, but I mean it! Being well-rounded is certainly not a bad thing for a developer. My friends over at WootStudio have put together some resources and events that will help you port over those non-Windows apps to the Windows and Windows Phone Stores so that everything, your skills and your apps that is, is well-rounded. Check it out here.

A Message from the Code Sensei
Many of you already know about Code Kwondo, this year’s Developer Movement app building rewards program. If you’re up for a good chuckle, check out this message from the Code Sensei.

Last But Not Least
I’d like to close off with a few quick things, in case you’re new to the community, or haven’t yet had a chance to take advantage of all of the different tools at your disposal to stay connected and stay up to speed on everything that’s going on:

• Connect socially – If you prefer to get your updates via your preferred social network, LIKE the Microsoft Developer Facebook page or FOLLOW @cdndevs on Twitter. I’d recommend choosing at least one of them so you don’t miss out on special announcements, fun challenges, and contests.
Canadian Developer Connection on LinkedIn – Maybe you’re not the Twitter and/or Facebook type. That’s OK. There’s a group of 7800+ of us on LinkedIn networking, sharing, and learning about development related topics. Join us there.
• Events Hub – Don’t miss training and/or networking opportunities in a city near you or online. Subscribe to the Event Hub so that you know what’s happening as soon as it’s announced.
• Network, Network, Network – Share your opinions, network with fellow developer, and discover job opportunities in the Canadian Developer Connection group on LinkedIn.

Well, that’s it for now! If we aren’t already, I’d love to connect with you via LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, or e-mail.

Keep in touch,
Jonathan Rozenblit