addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Paul H
user 40577692
Fresno, CA
Post #: 6
So, some of us at the blossom shoot threw out a variety of ideas for future locations/ideas, so I thought it would be useful to start a discussion on the topic.

Not sure how many of you are willing to travel, and how far, and some of these locations are further out. Personally, I travel a decent amount for fun & photography, so I'll be doing most of what I'm about to list on my own/with friends regardless, but it'd be nice to share experiences with others. Also planning to go back to the Southwest (Utah, Arizona, Colorado), although that would obviously be more difficult to coordinate.

These are heavily landscape-oriented, as that's my main interest, and it seems what most people mentioned.

Yosemite, Sequoia - Probably an obvious, oft-visited location for many here, but there are a number of people new to the area, or others (like me) that love visiting multiple times a year. Yosemite is nice to visit year-round.

Mono Lake and/or Bodie Ghost Town - Easiest way is through Yosemite and Tioga road, which is closed during winter due to snow.

Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve - WHEN it blooms, there are golden poppies covering hills as far as the eye can see. Very little action the past few years, and not sure how it's going to look this year. Probably need to be able to go on short notice. Current status can be found HERE

Big Sur/Point Lobos area - I visit the area (and Monterey/Carmel) often, especially to get away from the valley heat.

Monarch butterflies at Natural Bridges State Park (Santa Cruz) - Typically occurs around Mid-October for the peak, but I think they might last through Feb or so. Pictures I've seen show so many monarchs you can barely the see the bark & leaves of trees.

Steel Wool shooting - I've had a lot of fun doing this a couple of times on the coast, but I'd also love to do it in an industrial setting if possible. Obviously needs to be done somewhere where we couldn't catch anything on fire.

Night Photography - Everything from star trails, streaking car lights, light painting, etc.

There were some in the hills around the valley, but I don't recall the specifics.

I know some of you suggested more, so feel free to add on to the discussion! It sounded like there was a lot of enthusiasm for getting out there and shooting.
A former member
Post #: 1
Thank you Paul for opening this discussion link.

To all members, this is your opportunity to add to the discussion and help develop a photography community that thrives right here at home. This is not to take away from all the great work that group leaders have accomplished in the past. For all the hard, a big thank you is well past due. However, it's important to remember that leading requires a lot of work and the more that each one of you adds to the discussion the better the experience for everyone. Well, enough of my soapbox.

Paul, you have noted a few ideas that I will love to try. I never been to Mono Lakes and would love to experience the place soon. Not to mention your other ideas, which would also be a great experience.

Here are my notes from today’s meet-up for ideas. These are just brainstorming ideas in order to move the conversation forward. Remember, the point of brainstorming is to capture ideas as they happen. Not to judge their value at the time of capture.

Coffee and Brainstorming: Basic idea; meet in small groups to brainstorm future photo ideas, meet-ups, talk shop, give-receive feedback and share tips.

American Flag Barn: Basic idea: plan a meet-up a few weeks prior to the 4th and capture a few images of a valley landmark. More info here.

Downtown Fresno Night Photography: Basic idea; there are some amazing views and photo opportunities. A bit scary, yes! But well worth the adventure and there’s nothing scarier than a group of photographers out for a shot. Besides, I know a few different spots where we have roof access.

Smart Phone/Point-n-Shoot Challenge: Basic idea; visit and revisit, new and past meet-up locations with the added constraint of small body cameras. Why? Want to develop/practice your photography craft, add constraints in order to free your mind from the technical aspects of the medium and get back to basics.

Color-me Rad. April 7, 2013. Don’t know this event? → Click here for more info. Personally, I can’t photograph this event because I’m in the race. However, I‘d love to have photos from the experience and can’t do both. This is great opportunity to gab great color photos. I promise you, I will make this event a fun experience for all. My Color-me Rad team is “Built for Comfort.” If everyone is interested in joining or photographing the event, let me know.

Coffee and Post-Processing Share Slam: Basic idea; have a rotating schedule of members share post-processing secrets, tips and work flow.

Deborah
DeborahBadigian
Marietta, GA
Post #: 6
I would love to go on any and all of the shoots listed above. Just set dates/times and, hopefully, I will be able to attend. I love any and all opportunities to photograph! Thanks for your efforts in putting these together.
Paul H
user 40577692
Fresno, CA
Post #: 7
Pete, thanks for adding, I knew I forgot a few things that had been brought up; there were probably half a dozen short convo's I was around/involved with, so I'm sure I missed more. I also like all the other ideas you've brought up.

I had no idea about the 'Color Me Rad' event; I was just telling a friend about how fun it'd be to shoot the Indian Holi (sp?) Festival, where they throw around the colored powder. I'm in for that for sure!

Deborah, thanks for commenting; I know everyone I spoke with at the shoot were eager to get out and shoot, so hopefully with everyone's participation we can help set up more events.
Doug M.
user 14996091
Group Organizer
Clovis, CA
Post #: 2
Paul, thanks for leading this discussion. This meetup group is designed to operate more as a member led forum, a place to facilitate discussion, learning, showing work, critiques, or whatever the membership wants. We all have different areas of photographic focus from landscape and other still life to high fashion and weddings. So, without the membership taking the lead from time to time it is likely this group will either flutter away or focus on solely on the interests of the organizer (that would be me and I do mostly portrait and weddings). So, thanks again for leading this discussion thread and I hope it encourages others to do the same. Also, I encourage anyone just heading out for a shoot to post the what and where of their plans so that others with like interest may join in. As always, if someone wants to do something studio oriented I am happy to offer the use of our studio.