addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cambridge Mobile App Group Message Board › Cambridge Weekend Hackathon - Would you be interested?

Cambridge Weekend Hackathon - Would you be interested?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello All,

...It's been great coming to the meetings over the last few months, though what I realised at the last one was that we all had a great time demonstrating our apps and talking about them, but no actual code was shown or shared.

That got me thinking about organising an event dedicated to hackers, where coders could come together and show off their apps and how they were made, actually in the respective development environments.

Maybe we could get a few people to talk about what gave them the idea and what problems they have had to solve along the way.

I am a fairly new to apps development and have only really worked with Android and iOS, so have very little knowledge about how to build an windows mobile application for example. Others might have no knowledge at all or others might know much more.

Would this sort of event be of interest?? or is it just me that's geeking out over the idea! :-)

Katie
Mark R.
MarkRCambs
Group Organizer
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 10
Don't let me hold you back from organising such an event, but are you aware that there are lots of them already? In Cambridge itself this year we have already had Idea Transform http://ideatransform.org/­ and next weekend we have Culture Hack East http://culturehackday.org.uk/upcoming-hacks/culture-hack-east-2012/­.

Tony and I spent last weekend at Over The Air at Bletchley Park near Milton Keynes, which combined a hackathon with a conference, and had an amazing time. You can see the results of the hackathon here and here.

And do be aware of the dark side of hackathons.
Tony S.
user 11265653
Chelmsford, GB
Post #: 39
I think what Katie is suggesting is interesting, and not really a hackathon. I say that because hackathons are mainly about creating something new. I think a retrospective look at someones existing work could be really helpful anyone wanting to learn about a platform.

I'd welcome more ideas on this!
A former member
Post #: 4
Agreed.

I was going to see if Cambridge Water would let me borrow one of the meeting rooms.. It would be easy to park and is quite central. If they said no then other option exist. The problem would be having the hardware available I guess.

Anyone ???
Tony S.
user 11265653
Chelmsford, GB
Post #: 40
Not wanting to stop a discussion on here but I'll have a chat to you about this on Tuesday at the next meetup.
Tony S.
user 11265653
Chelmsford, GB
Post #: 43
Sorry I didn't have a chance to speak to you about with yesterday, but I'm still keen on the idea so would like to discuss further when we next meet!