[Trigger warning: this event relates to violence against transgender people and participants may be exposed to detailed reports which contain graphic imagery. Please consider this before attending.]
The Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDoR), observed annually on 20 November, memorializes those who were killed or lost to suicide as a result of anti-transgender hatred or prejudice in the past year.
This non-competitive datathon will be centred on the data collected by monitoring bodies and trans activists about relevant deaths, as collated for recent years on https://tdor.translivesmatter.info/. We are pleased to have the maintainer of this website as an invited participant. Our aim is to support the tireless efforts of people that gather this data and to raise awareness of TDoR.
Our work will be hosted on this GitHub repo: https://github.com/rlgbtq/TDoR2018
We invite anyone interested in working on this data to participate. Tasks will be identified to match the interests and skills of participants, but may include:
- writing/improving scripts for data extraction and compilation
- writing/improving scripts for comparing data sets/other data cleaning tasks
- setting up infrastructure for people to submit updates/corrections
- collating historical data (records go back to the 1970s)
- publishing the data for recent years as an R package
- automating the generation of memorial cards or slideshows
- creating infographics for TDoR 2018
- creating a dashboard to explore the data
- researching reports to add photos for memorial cards and further details
This datathon is hosted by the Cardiff R User Group, Forwards (https://forwards.github.io/) and Rainbow R (https://twitter.com/r_lgbtq). Although this is an initiative of the R community, we welcome users of any programming language or none!
There is no cost for this event. Tea and coffee will be provided. There will be a break for participants to get lunch from local outlets. We thank Indycube (https://www.indycube.community/) for providing us with one of their co-working spaces for this event - note the venue has lift access.