addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

New York City Celiac Disease Meetup Message Board › Lilli and loo GFRAP!

Lilli and loo GFRAP!

Ashley J.
user 3999449
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 23
http://www.glutenfree... smile
I just stumbled accross this on the gfrap website checking out tuttoriso... I have not heard of this yet! Has anyone tried/heard of it yet?
Erin S.
ErinSmith78
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 219
Ashley, what a find. I haven't heard of this place, but it sounds like a new place Liz and I can check out to organize a Meetup. Thanks for the heads-up!
A former member
Post #: 104
I stopped into Lilli and Loo's last night. It turns out that they have not yet released their Gluten Free menu to the public, as they are still working on getting everything perfect. The woman I spoke with was really nice and they are very concerned about doing things right and seem to be putting in a lot of effort. She gave me a sneak peak at the menu and it looks good! There menu is Chinese and Japanese. They will have gluten free soy sauce on hand and I must say the menu was extensive. I would say that from the quick look-thru I gave it, it looks to be mainly Chinese (I could be wrong, I looked real quick). The menu reminded me a lot of Gourmet Land (may it's GF menu rest in peace). Sushiwise she told me that many of their rolls are naturally GF (with the exceptions of marinated eel, imitation crab and tempura). They do have a king crab California roll though, which I think is a real treat and pretty hard to find. I asked if they would consider making GF tempura and they said that they could, but they do not have a dedicated fryer and would be concerned about cross contamination. I told them I thought gf tempura would be a huge hit and they said that if they had success with their introductory gf menu they would be willing to expand and possible include it...let's hope!

I am going to follow up with them in a few weeks and will post when the menu is out. I mentioned to the woman I spoke with that I would be interested in holding a meetup there, so I will keep everyone posted on that as well...
ben c.
bencappel
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 248
OMG - I can't wait to try it! Who knew I'd be excited to try a restaurant with "Loo" in the name...?
Catherine
cato1110
New York, NY
Post #: 12
I went last night and it was AMAZING - everyone needs to go check it out http://glutenguide.bl...­
A former member
Post #: 22
I was there over the weekend, and it was really good!

Most exciting, they've really gone all the way in taking measures to eliminate cross contamination. The gluten-free food is prepared in a separate kitchen, downstairs, away from the regular kitchen. Also, the gf food came out on square plates (the regular food came on circular plates), and was covered when served, to guard against mistakes and accidental contamination. It's wonderful to see a restaurant implementing so many procedures tguard against mishaps.

I definitely plan to become a regular there.
ben c.
bencappel
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 271
I popped in for lunch yesterday and I LOVED it! It's such a shame that Gourmetland closed (for GF anyway), but this place should make us all feel a little better. I second the comments about Lilli and Loo's steps to counter cross-contamination: the food came from a different kitchen, the square plates were used, with covers...and the manager/owner came to check on my meal at least 3 times.

Plus, the food was delicious! I had the Borneo Chicken and Shrimp Fried Rice...both were excellent. The Borneo Chicken is a cross between Orange Chicken and Cheng Du Chicken (from GL)...not spicy, but tangy and crispy. The Fried Rice was really yummy...they chop up little bits of bok choy leaves into it...which I love...although I wish they had deveined their small shrimp or used deveined shrimp (just my personal preference).

THANK YOU LILLI AND LOO (AND GFRAP)!!

PS- Aside from all the food and GF features...the architecture is beautiful!
Alyson
user 2823199
New York, NY
Post #: 27
I was there last nite...YUM!! I also had the Borneo chicken. It was tangy and crispy as Ben described, but I asked for extra sauce and then it was perfect. I also had the rice paper spring rolls which had avocado and mango with a minty dipping sauce. So refreshing and light. I was with a non-gf friend (who also enjoyed her food) and yes, the plates were covered but I did not notice the different shaped plates..i'll keep an eye out for that next time.

The staff was super nice and I will be back to either eat in or take out. I grabbed a take out menu, but they didn't note which selections were GF so hopefully they will add that to the take out menu.

I was so sorry that Gourmetland closed but Lilli and Loo's is my new favorite!
Ashley J.
user 3999449
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 36
Tony and I ate there today and it was pretty good. The plates that we ate on were square which made me feel very secure.
Ashley J.
user 3999449
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 39
Tony and I ate at lilli and loo for lunch again yesterday. We decieded to get sushi and when we ordered (spicy salmon) we were told that the mayo sauce was not gluten free. They were very helpful and offered make it without the sauce and with a slice of avacado to cool the spice (they are artists) but it is bothering me now...what would have been in the mayonase sauce? I know someone who was daignosed in the 80's that believed that mayo was not gf..could this be related?