addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Central London Humanists Message Board Campaigns & Activism › LONDON: Protest for Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga

LONDON: Protest for Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga

Damian
JoshKutchinsky
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 64
Dear All,

At the end of a rally outside the Malawian High Commision here in London, we heard the great news that Steven and Tiwonge have been pardoned.

A few hundred people gathered in the rain outside the High Commission in a leafy street some way from the city centre. The crowd was enthusiastic and determined, high spirits could not be dampened. These people knew that they were surfing on a wave of historical necessity. Steve and Tiwonge, individuals for whom everyone expressed love and compassion, had also become symbols, in their incarceration and treatment, of the effects of a ruthless and repressive anti-human mindset which unfortunately can still be found in many countries. There was a determination here that this cruelty must be set aside. Little did we imagine that the news would follow on so swiftly, but I am sure that most people will feel the need to press home the advantage, to champion, ever more strongly, the UN goal of decriminalising homosexuality and reinforcing LGBTi rights as part of, and in no way separate from, support for Universal Human Rights. The time is now.

At the Rally there were speeches from religious people and from Marco Trancino who spoke passionately and movingly on behalf of the Central London Humanists and the Humanist community worldwide. I took the liberty of passing on to the gathered demonstrators a message of goodwill and appreciation from George Thindwa, Executive Director of the Association of Secular Humanism in Malawi. I mentioned how much he had been doing to support Steven and Tiwonge in Malawi.

Solidarity was expressed with Peter Tatchell and his efforts to defend human rights in Moscow ( I think there is some good news from there also!)

At the rally I also met up with Suzanne Worrica and Stuart Reed who, some may recall, were in Malawi, visiting from the UK, when Steven and Tiwonge were in court. They visited them in jail in those first days and gave them some support and encouragement. They met George Thindwa and asked me to pass on to him their regards and best wishes.

I am sure I have forgotten to mention something but don't want to hold off sending this message of good news any longer.

Regards
Josh