Central Oregon Canine Advocacy Group Message Board › Sunday, 3/2 hike on the Gray Butte Trail
Hello dog lovers,
I have an update for you concerning the hike we have planned on the Gray Butte Trail this coming Sunday. A couple of us took our dogs out to this trail this afternoon to familiarize ourselves with the location of the trailhead and to check out the trail conditions. After this familiarization trip I have a few words of advice to share with the group:
1) The road up the mountain to the trailhead is 3.5 miles long. This is a rough road with ruts, rocks and some muddy spots. I strongly recommend that only 4 wheel drive/all wheel drive vehicles with all weather/winter tires attempt to drive up this road.
2) The temperature today was in the upper 20's and the surface of the trail was frozen. However, if warmer temperatures occur up there this trail could be pretty muddy.
3) The weather today was quite foggy and the trees, bushes and grass were covered in beautiful hoarfrost. It was a stunningly beautiful, almost otherworldly sight.
4) This trail is used by mountain bikers and horseback riders. We saw no one else on the trail today, but on Sunday there is more of a possibility of meeting others on the trail. It is very important that you can trust your dog's recall in case we encounter folks on horses.
5) I cannot predict what the weather conditions up there will be on Sunday. So I suggest you follow the National Weather Service forecast at this link: http://forecast.weath...