addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Robin & Chuck F.
robinandchuck
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 17
I guess I always knew Meetup.com charged Doug to host this group and bring us altogether... but I never knew how much. Turns out, the cost was a bit higher than I expected:

• $12/month for 6 months (a single $72 charge)
  • $15/month for 3 months (a single $45 charge)
  • $19/month for the month-to-month billing option

So yearly, Doug is spending, out of his pocket, $144 for us to all enjoy the benefits of this group. I've been tossing around the idea of how for him to recoup some of this cost, and have come up with a couple ideas...

• Charge each person attending each event $1
  • Charge each person an annual membership fee of $10 or so dollars (might drive membership down though confused)
  • Somehow convince the restaurants we host our Meetups at to "sponsor us" at $10/event

I know Doug would pass on any extra to a local charity - maybe towards the Charlottesville Veg-Fest or Charlottesville's Voices for Animals?

Of course, Meetup.com makes it real easy to gather donations of this type - we can do cash, we can do PayPal (they charge a 2.9% + $0.30 for each transaction though).

What's everyone's thought? I know that Robin and I definitely want to help Doug out with the cost of maintaining this group - I'm sure others that feel the same are out there?
A former member
Post #: 2
I certainly don't mind contributing to a group that I am participating in! I don't think Doug should have the weight of the fees on his shoulders!

I like the idea of doing $1.00 per event you attend. That way, you pay for what you do....if you spend 6 months swamped at work and can't make it to any events, you aren't paying for things you didn't attend. I think that may avoid driving membership down.

Trisha C.
trishafree
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 1
I guess Meetup is a business so it has to get it's money, but certainly Doug shouldn't have to pay it all himself. I am willing to pay each time I attend a Meetup, and $1 is fine if that would help. Count me in!
Sylvia
sylvie08
Charlottesville, VA
I'm in, too. Don't think Doug should shoulder the expense and give us a free ride....he's too nice to say anything.
So I agree the minimal charge of$1 for each event we attend is more than fair.
Sylvia
Robin & Chuck F.
robinandchuck
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 18
Of course, now that I'm thinking about it... last year, Robin and I attended near 15 events... which would be $30 for us - I think Doug would hit that $140 mark real quick...

I figure there's probably somewhere between 18-24 events each year... average of 10 people at each event, we'd crush that $140 mark each year (which I'm fine with - but I don't want Doug having to explain to the IRS that this is not a business for him biggrin)

Of course, we could $1 per person per event, then when he hits the $ to pay for next year, just stop collecting?

I'd really rather have some other corporate-types sponsor us (like Vega, mooshoos.com, etc) - does anybody know anyone willing to throw us 30/yr to put their logo up on the site and/or pass out coupons?
A former member
Post #: 128
What about asking Whole Foods or IY if they can sponsor us?
Marianne R.
user 10405852
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 5
First of all, thanks, Doug, for footing the meetup bill up until now. This was very generous of you.

Second, I'm a meetup member who rarely gets to attend meetup get-togethers. I work weekends, plus I live closer to Waynesboro than Charlottesville, so Waynesboro is where my errands generally take me. However, even though I don't get to enjoy the regular vegan events, I still benefit from being a meetup member because I learn so much. For example, I first learned about Boylan Heights' vegan burger from meetup, and I learned which local wineries sell vegan wines from meetup.

I would be happy to pay a fee simply for the privilege of belonging to meetup. It's the best thing going for keeping up with the local vegan scene.

Doug, thanks again for making this possible!

Marianne Roberts
Doug G.
VeganGuy
Group Organizer
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 12
Thanks Chuck for your insight and ideas, as well as everyone else's replies. Whatever is decided, it is important to me that there be no mandatory membership fees or mandatory charges of any kind to attend a function. I do not want money to be a hindrance in any way for anyone to join the group or attend a vegan meetup.

Let's just say that thus far I have been "paying it forward", for times in the past where I have joined organizations where fees were not mandatory, and I was unable to pay requested contributions, but wanted to remain a member.

With that being said, I think that helping me look into sponsorship, or in the least having a donation jar at each event to cover the fees, would be the best options, as no one will feel obliged to pay if they have any reason they may not want to. This is a group that I formed to allow anyone to join, and I would not want anybody to feel that they must pay any amount, no matter how small, to be a part of this group.

So fire away with any other ideas or thoughts. And thanks everyone, I really appreciate everything that everyone in this group does, and the willingness to help out!

-Doug

A former member
Hi

just sent an email and tried to leave a message here but can't see it.

I didn't realize there would be any fees - it wasn't mentioned at all when I joined, please unsubscribe me from the group & delete my profile etc.

Please confirm, as soon as possible, that I will not be liable for any fees.

Thank you
Chrissy Day

Robin & Chuck F.
robinandchuck
Charlottesville, VA
Post #: 19
Hi Chrissy - there are no fees; as Doug mentioned, we're just merely trying to find ways to offset the cost he incurs every 6 months.

We hope you don't, but if you want to leave the group I found the instructions at this link.

I do like Doug's idea of a donation jar... although Doug could just open (and advertise) a PayPal account for us to send money to. That way a jar isn't staring at us all at the gatherings, which would make us then feel obliged to give.