What we're about
Upcoming events (2)
The Virginia Creeper National Recreation Trail offers scenic wonders from dense forests, open fields and lush waterways to railroad relics and delightful small towns. Cyclists and equestrians love the length of the Creeper, and many local walkers and joggers take advantage of the pleasant opportunity for a little exercise.
The trail is 32.7 miles in length between Abingdon, VA and Whitetop Station. However, I plan to do the ride over two days by starting from the midpoint of Damascus, VA and riding out and back each day. On Saturday (05/01), we'll ride uphill to Whitetop for 17 miles, have lunch along the way, and ride back to Damascus. On Sunday (05/02), we'll ride 16 miles to Abingdon, have lunch along the way, and ride back to Damascus. So, this will be about a 66-mile bike ride for the weekend. The trail surface is gravel. A hybrid bike is recommended. Pace will be 8-12 mph. I plan to camp at Beartree Campground outside of Damascus that can accommodate up to eight people. For more information on the trail and camping, please go to https://www.traillink.com/trail/virginia-creeper-national-recreation-trail/ and https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232384, respectively.
1. A tentative itinerary or cancellation notice will be sent out a week before the ride.
2. A final itinerary will be sent a day before the ride.
The Cycle North Carolina Mountain Ride is a perfect weekend getaway for any outdoor enthusiast and their families. Enjoy a 3-day cycling festival featuring a variety of route options each day that focus on showcasing the beautiful landscapes that Western North Carolina has to offer. The campsite is located at Summey Park in Forest City, just over a mile from downtown, which features some of the best restaurants, shops and entertainment a quaint mountain town can offer. RV's are welcome at the campsite and there are multiple hotel options in town as well.
1. You must register at https://ncsports.org/event/cyclenc_mountain_ride/. Fees increase after 05/20/2021. **If you had signed up for the coastal ride which was canceled this year, you will have credit in your account to pay for this ride.**
2. Indoor or outdoor camping is included with the registration. I plan to camp indoors and check-in on August 6.
3. There is a warm-up, 17-mile ride led by the route developers that I plan to join. It leaves at 3 pm on Friday (8/6) from the campsite at Summey Park/Dunbar Elementary School.