ABOUT THE CLASS:
This session is a good starter for Python or programming in general if you want to move on to other languages. In beginning to "think like computer scientists", we’ll cover: Development Environments, Modules, Files, Variables, Control Flow, Exception Management, Input, Output, Return Values, Parameters, Arguments, Functions, and Calls. If any of these are mysterious or if you'd like to learn the Python versions, this is your course. The class will develop and debug several programs that can be built on for more complex tasks. If there is interest, we'll discuss logistics for learning Computer Vision using Raspberry Pi in the near future.
Come with Python 3 from PYTHON.ORG already installed!*
*Email [masked] if you need assistance installing Python
Where I’ve Been
- 25+ years running two high-tech companies leading to retirement in 2000.
- 15+ years teaching/consulting on interesting high-tech projects for fun and profit.
- 1½ years Computer Science PhD Student/Researcher/Adjunct at UTC
Where I’m At
- PhD Student in UTC's Computer Science Department
- Research Assistant at UTC's High Performance Computing SimCenter
- Adjunct Faculty in UTC's Computer Science Department.
- Machine Translation, Natural Language Processing
- Deep Learning & Other Innovative uses of the Perceptron Metaphor
- Increasing Performance with Concurrent/Distributed/Parallel/High-Performance Technologies/Techniques
- Performance Portability (e.g. kokkos) to increase development time effectiveness
- Performance Portability for Statistical Machine Translation
- Air Piano & Stage Genie: An Innovative and Engaging Introduction to Advanced Computer Science
- Neuro-Plausible Machine Translation ( Proposed Dissertation)