We are a spin off of the previous Chicago Flink Meetup (https://www.meetup.com/Chicago-Apache-Flink-Meetup). This group focuses on creating demos, tutorials, making Flink more accessible for beginners, and sharing cool tricks and code among more advanced users.
Apache Flink (http://flink.apache.org/) is the next evolutionary step in distributed compute engines of the Hadoop ecosystem. Apache Flink is a Next-Gen Big Data Analytics framework which is not only an alternative to Hadoop MapReduce but also an alternative to Apache Storm and an alternative to Apache Spark.
Some key advantages of Apache Flink are:
• True Low latency streaming engine (not micro-batches!) that unifies batch and streaming in a single Big Data processing framework
• Automatic Cost-Based Optimizer ( little re-configuration and little maintenance for Flink Applications!)
• Memory management ( no more frequent Out Of Memory errors!)
• Native closed-loop iteration operators making graph and machine learning applications run much faster
• Hadoop and Storm compatibilities layers to preserve your investment in Hadoop MapReduce and Storm and simply run your legacy code on Flink
Apache Flink is a community-driven open source framework for scalable stream and batch processing of Big Data. Apache Flink provides an execution engine, several APIs in Java and Scala and domain-specific libraries. Flink integrates well with other open source tools for data input and output as well as deployment.