Intro to Backpacking - Lapham Peak (Formerly called "Beginner Bootcamp")
This is an introduction to backpacking for those who are new or who have been out of the sport for some time. This will be an overnight weekend trip that is relatively close to Chicago. If you are new to backpacking, you are required to complete this type of trip before you can attend other group trips.
All participants should be in good health and be physically fit. Each person is responsible for obtaining the necessary gear to attend this trip. Necessary gear includes a backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent or shelter, food and water. If you are unfamiliar with the types of gear required or have questions about the expectations for the trip, please contact the organizers.
This trip will involve hiking approximately 7 miles on the first day and 3 on the second day. Lapham Peak is moderately strenuous hilly terrain in dense forests and open prairie. The organizers might adjust the final mileage depending on the weather.
Location Details / Map
Leave Chicagoland around 8:00am. Everyone arrives at 10:00am for the gear shakedown: participants will empty packs and discuss with organizers what gear is needed and how to load and adjust packs. Hike approximately 7 miles to camp, practicing good hiking techniques. We'll stop for a late lunch and discuss the principals of Leave No Trace. www.lnt.org
At camp, learn about camp skills such as site selection, making camp, cooking, etc.
Hike approximately 3 miles back to cars. Get lunch in nearby Delafield. Return to Chicago at approximately 4 p.m.
Carpools will be arranged by the organizers—no need to solicit rides. An email request for carpool information will be sent about 2 weeks prior to the event.
Click below for more info:
• Bootcamp FAQ http://files.meetup.com/15324/BootcampFAQ.pdf
• Basic gear list http://files.meetup.com/15324/beginner%20bootcamp%20gear%20list.pdf
• Gear Checklist
$10 meetup fee (non-refundable)
Gas/tolls - please bring cash to split within carpool
$11 vehicle admission fee - please bring cash to split with carpool
• If you are an experienced backpacker, you should not be on this trip. This trip is popular, and spots are reserved for novice backpackers only. Participation is at the discretion of the trip organizers.
• Please note that no refunds will be issued, so please carefully review the trip details before signing up.
• We practice Leave No Trace and expect that all participants follow LNT guidelines (http://lnt.org).
• Organizers are volunteers, not guides. Each participant is responsible for obtaining and carrying his/her own meals and gear.
• While on the trail, we function as a group. We expect each participant to be a contributing member to group tasks such as gathering wood, filtering water, etc.
• No Add-Ons. Everyone must be signed up under their own Meetup account. Also, no minors, dogs, or other dependents are permitted.
• If RSVPs fill up, please post a note in the comment section about your interest in attending the trip. These comments will be used to fill any spots that open.
• Keep in mind that backpacking is an intense cardiovascular activity that may involve a variety of potential health and safety risks. While organizers and other trip participants may help to facilitate trip planning and logistics, each trip participant must know his/her own capabilities and is solely responsible for his/her own safety.
-Michelle S and Steve C