addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago C/C++ Users Group Message Board › planning for the future

planning for the future

Nevin ".
nliber
Libertyville, IL
Post #: 18
It doesn't matter to me where the venue is (formal, informal, whatever).

What does matter (in my opinion of course) is that the leader of the meeting (presenter, etc.) prep for it, and let the rest of us know if we have to do any prep for it as well. Just getting together and hoping that a topic organically appears, or that the discussion will magically move along on its own is not a good strategy. In my experience, very few people can actually "wing it".

This is not to say that there has to be days of prep, nor that a discussion won't veer into new and interesting directions. Rather, we need someone to be able to push the meeting along when it gets stuck or goes off into the weeds.
Conrad W.
CWeisert
Chicago, IL
Post #: 37
Some members favor less frequent meetings.
Some favor less formal smaller meetings
Others want more formal, larger, better prepared presentation meetings.

Here's a suggestion that should accommodate everyone:
1. Let's have a bi-monthly formal meeting with one or more speakers presenting topics of interest. We can schedule March and May now. If New Horizons is willing, it's an excellent site.
2. In the other months (February, April . . ), let's have an informal gathering at someone's office or home (restaurants are too noisy). I'm willing to host one of them.