PLEASE NOTE the following before requesting membership: Golden Soles is a WEEKDAYS ONLY, NO DOGS, OVER-50 hiking group. Golden Soles supports safety first and does insist that hikers stay within sight of each other and respect their Hike Leader. If you feel you’d be unable to do this, then this group is not for you.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Golden Soles welcomes enthusiastic hikers over 50 looking to indulge in the sport of Social Group Hiking. We are NOT a strolling group as we do keep a fair pace going and our cardio pumping. Please familiarize yourself with the FOUR TYPES OF WALKS AND HIKES listed below. Golden Soles often work up a sweat but we also take the time to enjoy the beauty of our surroundings!
Golden Soles honors the concept of Meetup to meet face-to-face in “real time” and share actual conversation with others interested in the sport of social group hiking. In addition to the fitness component of hiking, we also honor the time for photo breaks, chit-chat, moments of awesomeness, snacks, and general breath-catching-up!
- - - - - - - - - - -
Golden Soles offer FOUR TYPES OF WALKS AND HIKES:
1) BRISK WALKS – terrain is on paved multi-use trails such as gravel, asphalt or concrete (some offer soft shoulder on both sides). Average speed is a brisk 20 min mile (3 mph) depending on terrain and your Hike Leader. Walks are usually 5 miles but could range from 4-7 miles. Elevation gains are easy to moderate but generally flat. There is a short break for a snack at the half-way point. Drive times local.
2) BRISK HIKES – terrain is on dirt trails -OR- a mix of dirt and multi-use trails. Average speed is a brisk 20-24 min mile depending on terrain and your Hike Leader. Hikes are usually 5 miles but could range from 4-7 miles. Elevation gains are easy to moderate but definitely more variable due to the natural terrain. There is a short break for a snack at the half-way point. Drive times local. Note: Sturdier trail shoes and/or trekking poles might be advisable.
3) TRAIL HIKES – terrain could vary from paved trails, earthen trails, granite surfaces, uneven surfaces, dirt roads, etc. Hikes vary in rating from Easy to Moderate. Length of hike can vary between 4-12 miles with highly varying elevation gains. Average speed could vary between a 20 to 40 min mile depending on multiple factors such as trail surface, elevation gain, your Hike Leader, etc. There will be plenty of breaks for moments of awesomeness with a snack or lunch break at the half-way point. Varying drive times of 30-150 mins to trailheads.
4) PHOTOGRAPHY HIKES – terrain could vary from paved trails, earthen trails, and/or dirt roads. Range can vary from 4-6 miles. There will be plenty of stops for photo opportunities and sharing of knowledge. Varying drive times of 30-120 mins to trailheads.
- - - - - - - - - - - Golden Soles is solely a social, non-professional, volunteer group. Only you can assess your abilities to attend a hike and are solely responsible for your safety and well-being. Please familiarize yourself with Meetup's Terms of Service.