What we're about
Reading's most exciting mountaineering group.
This is a group for anyone interested in walking, hiking, rock climbing, camping and anyone with a sense of adventure to experience the wonders of the British mountain environment in a relaxed, fun and safe manner.
Our purpose is simple: To provide access to the British mountain environment for all. Irrelevant of social, economic and cultural background and irrelevant of your mountain/hiking experience: All skill levels are welcome.
This group was started to offer more adventurous trips, with small groups, from Reading to all areas of the UK.
Summary of what to expect on City Mountaineering trips:
• All trips are lead by passionate, qualified and highly experienced mountaineers (Qualified Mountain Leaders and Climbing Instructors)
• All trips, unless otherwise stated, are fully inclusive of return travel, food, accommodation and guided hiking (all you have to do is turn up at Maidenhead station and enjoy!)
• Small group sizes (maximum 8 people per trip), this enables:
• Best quality support
• Trip flexibility (to provide a true wilderness experience)
• Get to know your fellow mountaineers better than in larger groups
• Allow you to realise potential that you may never have thought possible
• Reduce the human impact on the natural environment
I have taken drastic steps in my personal living arrangements to ensure the price of trips as affordable as possible and a proportion of all money received for every trip is donated to (a) Wilderness conservation groups and (b) Mountain rescue teams. Formed almost entirely with volunteers, both groups rely on public donations to maintain their service, allowing us to enjoy this wonderful environment*
We look forward to exploring and sharing the Great British mountain environment with you!
* Money from each trip will be set aside until 31st December each year. The cash will then be distributed to the various groups as a lump sum cheque. The allocation will be based on the time spent in each managed area (e.g. If we have 10% of our mountain days in Glen Coe, Scotland; Glen Coe Mountain Rescue Team will receive 10% of the mountain rescue donation pot)