addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado Springs Vegan Events Message Board › May Potluck Recipes

May Potluck Recipes

Lisa
user 7165713
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 164
Post the Recipes from May's potluck here.

Easy Tempeh "Wings"

* 1-2 packages of Tempeh
* 1 jar or Annie's BBQ sauce- Hot Chipotle - or any other BBQ sauce you like.

Fry tempeh per instructions on package
-cut into 1/4 inch strips then fry with oil and soy sauce till all sides are golden

Place fried tempeh into bowl and pour some BBQ sauce on top (coat all sides).

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­----------------------------------

Potato Salad

I did not use a specific recipe this time so this recipe is "approximately" and should be made to taste.

* 8 russet potatoes
* 2 stalks celery - chopped finely
* 1/2 of onion - chopped finely
* 1/2 teaspoon of mustard
* 1/2 cup of Veganaise- if you like it creamier add more Veganaise
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 small jar of relish (Bubbies is what I used)
* a few pinches of Tumeric (Just for yellow color- a little goes a long way)
* few sprinkles of garlic powder
* Seasoning salt or paprika

Hardest part is just boiling the potatoes. May be easier to make with red potatoes? But with the russet's I just put fork holes one time in each potato. Then put in a pot in cold water on the stove to bring to a boil then lowered temperature covered. It took about an hour to get done but once done the potato skin's start to come off on there own. When done rinse in cold water to stop the cooking. Peel off skin of the potatoes that is still attached and cut into small pieces. Throw into bowl and put into refrigerator for a few hours. (if you don't have the time you don't have to do this step I just think it's easier so the potatoes don't fall apart).

Add all other ingredients per taste -mix gently and top with seasoning salt or paprika. Enjoy!

A former member
Post #: 12
This recipe is from the Veganomicon.

BANANA-CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAD PUDDING

SERVES 6 TO 8
TIME: ABOUT AN HOUR

Rick's note: You will probably need to alter the ingredients, time, or both for this recipe; it took almost double the baking time before I felt comfortable taking it out of the oven.

6 cups (1-inch cubed) stale bread (about 1 pound)
2 1/4 cups rice, almond, or soy milk (I used almond)
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder or tapioca flour (I used arrowroot)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
3 large, ripe bananas, sliced 1/2-inch thick

PREHEAT THE oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9 × 5-inch loaf pan. Place the cubed bread in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the soy milk and the arrowroot powder until no lumps remain. Add the remaining 11/2 cups soy milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and whisk to mix thoroughly. Pour over the cubed bread and stir to coat every piece. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 15 minutes, for the liquid to soak into the bread. Depending on what kind of bread you use and how stale the bread is, add more soy milk (1/4 cup at a time) and allow more soaking time until every piece of bread is saturated and there's a little bit of extra liquid in the bowl. The mixture should look mushy and wet. Fold in the chocolate chips and bananas (using your hands is the easiest for this), mashing the bananas slightly. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan, patting down to make an even top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is puffed, slightly browned, and feels firm. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
A former member
Post #: 10
Rick and Lisa, you guys get bonus points for being on top of things and posting so quickly! Thanks. :)
Here is the recipe for the "Samoas" from Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar. Page 174 if you have the book. I would add less coconut oil to the chocolate OR perhaps dust the bottom of the cookie with a little flour as the chocolate would not firm for me. Still delicious though...

2 cups grated unsweetend coconut
1/3 cup unrefined coconut oil
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup nondairy milk
1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
1 and 1/2 tsps. pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

For decorating: 1 cup vegan choc. chips and 2 Tbsp. unrefined oil (i may omit most of the oil next time)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or grease pan well.

Pour the grated coconut in a heavy skillet and toast until brown over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally. 8-10 min. Watch carefully or it will get too dark.

Combine coconut oil, brown sugar, non-dairy milk, flax seeds, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Sift in flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix. Then fold in toasted coconut.

Scoop about 1 Tbsp of dough two inches apart on the baking sheets. Flatten each cookie with the back of a measuring spoon (messy) and work a small hole into the center of each cookie. Bake for 8 minutes until the edges are golden brown.

Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 min. then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer cool cookies onto wax paper and place on object such as a cutting board so they can be easily slid onto refrigerator shelf.

While cookies cool, melt chocolate chips in microwave or double boiler. Then stir in coconut oil. Allow chocolate to cool five minutes to thicken slightly. Dip cookie bottoms into the chocolate and return them to waxed paper. Drizzle remaining chocolate over the cookies with a fork or pastry bag.
Chill for thirty minutes to completely firm chocolate. Store cookies in a loosely covered container in a very cool place.
Barb
user 12018383
Denver, CO
Post #: 10
Black Bean & Corn Quinoa Salad

I didn't really measure the spices, so all are approximate. It's also really good with lime juice instead of lemon!

Ingredients

• 1 box quinoa, prepared and chilled
  • 1 smallish red onion, chopped small
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 T ground cumin
  • 3/4 T garlic salt
  • 2-3 T chili powder (I used a NM blend, any will work)
  • 4-5 T olive oil
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • S&P to taste

Directions

Mix quinoa with onion, bell pepper, beans, corn and cilantro. In separate bowl, wisk together remaining ingredients, then pour over salad. Stir and probably add a little more S&P!