What we're about
Columbia Writers is a close-knit group of dedicated writers and authors from all over the Balto-DC metro area. We take pride in each others' work and our shared goal is to encourage the work into its best possible version with the end goal of publication. All fiction genres are welcomed—we do not currently critique non-fiction or poetry.
Check out our blog here: https://columbiawriters.wordpress.com/
We are committed to creating and maintaining a welcoming, diverse, inclusive, and safe space for all participants. We welcome writers of every race, age, culture, ability, body, ethnic origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, nationality, religion, and socioeconomic status, and we do not tolerate acts of oppression, prejudice, and discrimination. Anyone who behaves in a manner that makes others feel unsafe will be asked to leave the group.
Black lives matter.
No human is illegal.
Women's rights are human rights.
Love is love.
- 20/20 Critique Group (10 attendees): 2 writers submit up to 20 pages each. Prior attendance required before volunteering to submit. 20/20 IS THE SUGGESTED FIRST MEET FOR NEW MEMBERS.
- Small Group Critique (5 attendees): Every attendee submits up to 10 pages. Open to all.
- As a group, we have published two anthologies currently available on Amazon: Bistro Bites (http://www.amazon.com/Bistro-Bites-Columbia-Writers-Anthology/dp/1479298247/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419180002&sr=8-1&keywords=bistro+bites&tag=amazonsearchshop-20) andTrapped Tales (http://www.amazon.com/Trapped-Tales-Anthology-Columbia-Writers/dp/1505352967/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1419180062&sr=8-12&keywords=trapped+tales&tag=amazonsearchshop-20).
- Extra events such as workshops, beta swaps, write-ins, conferences, etc.
- Awesome holiday parties, socials, and retreats. Starving writers unite!
New members are welcome to apply provided they are able to regularly participate; click on 'join us' to complete the application questions. Please answer all 5 questions fully so we can determine if CW is a good fit for you. A photograph of yourself (i.e. headshot) is requested so we can look for you at your first meet. Also, look for us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/columbiawri... (https://www.facebook.com/groups/columbiawriters/) and Twitter at https://twitter.com/columbiawriters .
~ Columbia Writers