1189 Dennison Avenue, Columbus, OH
***Please note there is a NEW REGISTRATION REQUIREMENT!***
Each session (which lasts approximately 8 weeks), each participant will be required to pay $10 in order to play. This is still relatively cheap and it is part of the Columbus Recreation & Park Dept (CRPD) new mandated cost recovery program for each activity to help cover rec operating costs. For example, fall session 2 dodgeball lasts from November 2nd - December 14th so once the $10 fee is paid, you can attend each Wednesday to play until fall session 2 is over.
You can either pay in cash at the front desk the first time you arrive or register/pay online through ActiveNet (note there may be a small surcharge for the online transaction). Spots are limited so sign up early! Here is the link and search using the keyword 'dodgeball':
In addition, a waiver will need completed when you attend your first time for each session. Please either complete this at the front desk or see me in the gym to sign one.
Fall is just around the corner which means we are moving back indoors due to the limited daylight in the evening! Thompson Rec Center in the Short North is kindly allowing us to play there again for the fall/winter/spring seasons. If you've never played before you'll discover that dodgeball is a great way to relieve stress from the weekly grind and you'll likely make some friends in the process. We always play with the signature 'Gatorskin' foam dodgeballs (hence Gatorball) so there is a MUCH less chance of getting hurt. Any skill level is welcome, just bring sure to bring water to drink because its a workout!
Below is a list of the rules that the Organizers have decided upon for the game. Please read these rules at least once prior to attending as we will expect players to be somewhat familiar with them:
1) Dead Ball Rule: A ball will be ruled "dead" after it hits ANY object. This is different than we have played before so read carefully. This means:
a) If a ball is blocked by a ball and then hits that person in the hand/foot/anywhere on the body, the person is NOT out. If it is blocked by the ball then caught, the person is NOT out either.
b) If a ball hits a person and that ball is then caught by another person, the person hit is out and the original thrower is not out. (aka., it does not count as a catch).
c) If a ball hits you, then bounces off the wall and then you catch it, you are still out because the ball is dead once it hits you and then a second object.
d) A ball is still "live" if it hits you and then you and you alone catch it.
e) Any ball kicked at a person will not count as an out, however it CAN be used as a distraction.
2) Integrity Rule: When you are hit, we ask that you honestly call yourself out. Organizers now retain the right to call you out. This is in part due to the younger crowd that we attract when we play at Feddersen. Any organizer has a right to call a person out.
3) Backboard Rules: (Thompson Rule) Only stingers (small balls) count. If you hit your opponent's backboard, a certain number of people who were out on your team may come back in. The number of people who can come in will vary based on the number who show up each evening.
a) The net does not count as a backboard hit.
b) The rim DOES count as a backboard hit.
c) The stinger must not hit any other object before hitting the backboard to count as a hit.
4) Face Shot Rule: As always, any face shots do not count as an out. If someone does get hit in the face, then the thrower is out.
5) Failed Block Rule: If you block a throw with a ball but drop the ball you were holding, you are out.
6) Return Rule: At the start of a round, after you run to the middle court, you must return behind the 3-point line before you may make a throw. (New Rule)
7) No Tagging Rule: Tags do not count as an out.
8) Line-Back-In Rule: If you are out, the line begins at the spot out of bounds that is closest to the backboard or back-fence on your side, NOT the half court line. Because our numbers are growing, people are hesitant to go out at the half court line because they get hit right away when they get in. Therefore, we are switching the direction of the line to go from back to the half-court line. NOTE: If you are out please do not stand anywhere in bounds.
9) Hockey Rink Add-On Rules: (For when we play at Tuttle Rec Center)
a) Any direct catch will bring 2 people back into the game from that player's team.
b) An additional 5 players can return to the game if a goal is made into the hockey net only from behind the half-court line. A ball can be thrown, rolled, or knocked in and it still counts. However, a goalie is often posted to defend each goal.
c) When 3 people remain on one side the opposing team can cross the half-court line to get them out easier, but they can only throw from inside one of the two small circles. At least one foot has to be in the circle for a throw to count. Players also have free range to retrieve the balls on that side but can still be targeted from close range. Catches still count no matter what.
10) Organizers Rule: Generally speaking, any disputes will be settled by the organizer. Please respect his/her decisions. Thank you.