addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Community Action Wellington Message Board › News and views - July 2012

News and views - July 2012

Spencer
user 13890703
Group Organizer
Edinburgh, GB
Post #: 5
Hi everyone

I hope you are keeping warm smile

We are now 6 months old and have over 100 members! During this time we have hosted a very respectable 29 meetups. It’s been fantastic to meet and hang out with such a great bunch of people. If you haven’t been along to an event yet hopefully you will soon!

Events are a great way to meet different people, both within the group and in the wider community. You also get the chance to visit amazing new places and learn new skills. And have fun at the same time!

Last Sunday all of the above came together at Queen Elizabeth Park. We joined a diverse crew of landscape architects, botanists, locals, park rangers, new immigrants, dogs and kids on a beautiful day in a real gem of a reserve. We put in 700 plants in two hours then celebrated with an excellent bbq.

Planting season

Winter time is the planting season. We have been lucky enough to partner up with Great Wellington Regional Council as well as a number of local planting and care groups. We’ve also been fortunate in hooking up with Sam Rye and Conservation Volunteers, who are hosting a series of Green Gecko events at Wrights Hill. Not only is this a lovely area right next to the sanctuary but it is an opportunity to learn about different aspects of conservation and restoration. Thanks Sam!

The weather can be pretty nasty this time of year so it’s best to wrap up warm and get out there. We don’t tend to cancel, but sometimes the groups we work with will make that decision. In general though they are a pretty hardy lot and it is never as bad as you think sitting in that warm house looking out the window wondering whether to go or not!

What’s coming up in the next couple of months?

We are hoping to offer a range of events over the next few months. Plenty more chances to go a planting, more geckos, maybe some penguins and no doubt we will be back to Baring Head for some more critter-monitoring.

Next month we join the Living Legends crew (complete with All Blacks!). Should be a great couple of events! I’m hoping we can hook up with some new groups like Island Bay community Orchard, Project Crimson and Friends of Central Park. Watch this space…

Social events

I’ve decided to cancel the monthly pub meets at the Southern Cross. Turnout was pretty low and I figured most people joined the group to get out and do stuff. However, we may have a few special social events with speakers when opportunities arise. If you are keen for a pint sometime just let me know and we can always put something up!

Top tips for posting an event

If you hear about an event or are running an event and want to post it on Community Action Wellington then just go for it! My top tips for getting a few people along are to give plenty of notice, make it easy to get to, try to avoid existing events and pray for good weather!

While we mainly do conservation events it would be great to broaden out to help other community groups. If you know of any opportunities please let me know, or just post something up.

And finally…

I’m going to be a bit more proactive in promoting the group over the next six months, both to attract new members and also to hook up with new groups. If you have been enjoying being a member why not help me to spread the word?

Cheers!

Spencer.