R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics. This group exists to support R users in and around Cork, Ireland. Join us and see how data analysts from a wide variety of fields are using R.
R is a programming language and free software environment for data analysis and exploration. R functionality extends far beyond statistical analyses and when combined with the RStudio GUI, R can be deployed as a powerful tool to enact research reproducibility. R-projects facilitate research organisation while the steps and actions taken are documented in the script files.
The dual aim of this 1-day workshop is to (A) demonstrate a reproducible data analysis workflow through an example RStudio project and (B) highlight how the reorganisation of popular R packages, under the umbrella banner of the “tidyverse”, has made working with R more intuitive and accessible to a wider audience.
To register your interest, email [masked]. Please ensure “[R Workshop]” appears in the subject line. Places at the workshop will be confirmed via return email next week.
Morning session: Reproducible research through RStudio
9.45 am: Setup, introductions, housekeeping
10 am: Lecture - Project orientated workflows
10.30 am: Coffee break – Discussion
10.45 am: 2 × 30 minute tutorials
- Joined up thinking when writing R code
- R-projects as means to organise your research
11.45 am: Lecture - Introduction to the tidyverse
12.30 pm: Lunch break
Afternoon session: A crash course in the tidyverse
1.15 pm: 3 × 45 minute hands-on tidyverse tutorials including:
- Differences between the tidyverse and base R code
- Example scripts and problem sheets exploring R packages tidyr, dplyr, ggplot2 etc.
- Useful add on packages
3.30 pm: Closing remarks, questions
1. Your own laptop and power cable
2. R and RStudio pre-installed and running
3. The tidyverse R package loaded and running
4. Familiarity with R and RStudio
5. Experience writing and running R code