addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Costume Enthusiasts of South Florida! Message Board › Prep for MegaCon 2013

Prep for MegaCon 2013

Frank
jenovacon
Zephyrhills, FL
Post #: 3
Hey everyone, i don't know who's been to MegaCon in Orlando but if you haven't,...then next year you must lol. Plain and simple. This year i was unprepared but going forward i want to make sure im ready for the next one. I know it may seem a little soon but in my experience it's definitely best to plan ahead months in advance especially if your like me and have 3 to 4 cases of costume equipment to haul with you lol. First thing to figure out would be lodging. My suggestion is if you have the money now....reserve the hotel sooner than later. The Extended Stay Deluxe is only 9 blocks walking distance to the hotel. Rates now are $79.00 a night. Thats $79 bucks for single, double, triple & quad accupancy rooms....that is a great great deal for where it's located. At the same time some people really don't need that much preparation, you might just be going to checkout all the other cosplayers or purchasing some cool stuff and that's totally awesome too. But if for whatever reason you need help planning, then this is the place where you can ask anyone. I need alot of prep cuz with my master chief costume i plan on going all out next year....lol im talking even possibly hauling a small ATV modified to look like a Mongoose from Halo 3. My best friend Danny is going possibly as commander Shepard from Mass Effect. If you take MegaCon as serious as I do haha (I think im obsessed) the lets post ideas here. I usually like meeting in person for this sort of thing and physically writing notes but this can b just as good. Hope i didnt rant too much lol, it was just on my mind and wanted to post it.
Tristan
user 11358312
Group Organizer
Miami, FL
Post #: 76
Good points! I'm definitely going, and i'll make a room reservation soon. In recent years I've stayed somewhat within walking distance, but this year i'm determined to get as close as possible. Either that or bring a couple of 24v electric scooters like i had at supercon. Your ATV might come in very handy. I'm getting tired of spending half the con walking back and forth to the hotel. As far as hotel prices, once you get 5 people in a room (2 double beds + 1 on floor) the overall price is less of a concern than amenities.

Cosplay: Who's interested in doing a group? And what fandom?

I'm annoyed the Hatsume Fair at Morikami conflicts with Megacon this year. I liked to use Hatsume's costume competition as a rehearsal, aside from being a fun weekend on its own.

I'll make this a meetup so we can start getting a feel for who's going.

Frank
jenovacon
Zephyrhills, FL
Post #: 4
Hey guys, so as we get closer to MegaCon i figured i'd give an update and any information on the convention to make it'll a little easier for the first timers going this year. Below i just copied and pasted information i emailed to a friend of mine on my plans for MegaCon. Below you can find all the links you need for preparing for your trip. URGENT!!! if you have NOT reserved your hotel room, now would be a great time. Don't forget, you need is a credit card to reserve the room. They will NOT charge it until the day check in.. and even then you can decide to pay cash or just have them charge the card. I reserved 3 rooms at the Red Roof which is in walking distance of the convention center which makes thing alot easier when your carrying alot of costume armor like myself. If you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.

--------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­----------------------------------------­--------------------

Here's the website for the convention: http://www.megaconven...­

Here's the link to buy the tickets. It's a 3-day pass for $54.50
Don't purchase anything else from the link besides the one for the above amount.
http://www.megaconven...­
If you come with us you gotta do the 3-day pass.

Here's the hotel we're staying at: http://www.redroof.co...­
The convention Center is in walking distance so once we get there, we dont have to drive after because everything is in walking distance.
Of course you will be expected to pay your portion of the hotel if you come. The total is split between everyone, but if you go the amount will be $108.55 per person. (This is for 2 rooms only-4 person per room)
That amount is the complete total for everyone for 4 nights. The convention is Friday thru Sunday..........But...we plan on going Thursday & returning Monday.

Official dates of the convention is March 15th, 16th & 17th......We're heading up the 14th and returning Monday the 18th. So if you go i would see if you can take off the 14th thru the 18th.
UNLESS!!... you would like to drive on your own so you can come back Sunday if you want.

Here's the link to the convention center where MegaCon will be held: https://maps.google.c...­

People going: These are the people staying at the Hotel (More poeple are coming but will NOT be staying at the hotel with us)
Me
Angel
Tara (Angels wife)
Mike (My younger brother)
2L8 aka Danny (My best friend)
Russ (My little brothers friend)
Daniel (My little brothers other friend)

Let me know man. The convention is 4 weeks away so we got time.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Frank! I'm new to the group, so I have not yet met anyone on here. I'll be going to Megacon with a group of friends. Real excited for it! Will be my first time cosplaying at Megacon. My friends will only be there one day, but me and my gf will be there all 3 days.
Frank
jenovacon
Zephyrhills, FL
Post #: 5
Hey John. Awesome that your going to be cosplaying lol. Your gonna love it. The attention and people you meet, and just the overall environment is so amazing. Everyone there is awesome. Well im not crazy active with the group, I usually do my own thing.....so I havent really met anyone from here either. I do know Daniel Hernandez who is also a member here. Hes my best friend who will also be cosplaying with my group next week. I have a group of 14 people with me but I believe only 2 or 3 of us are cosplaying. Im cosplaying all 3 days so itll be hard to find me lol. Bit Friday & Saturday ill be with the Halo 3 Master Chief armor....and Sunday ill be doing Commander Sheppard from Mass Effect. Well if you wanna meetup just lemme know. Hope to see ya there.
Tristan
user 11358312
Group Organizer
Miami, FL
Post #: 87
Frank, you're committing 5 days to the trip? that's intense. I plan to leave work noon friday and get there that evening. Hotel for me will be the Rosen Inn (2nd hotel north of OCCC). Anyone still need a ride, i have a little extra space in my Expedition.