What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
Before the ink on the Constitution was even dry, states began to reconsider their boundaries. Proposals for dividing or combining state territories have been cropping up all over the country ever since. There have been more attempts to divide California than anniversaries of its statehood and a proposal to split New York into three separate states was raised again this year.
So why are proposals to redraw state lines so popular?
Let's explore what redrawing state lines might mean, asking such questions as:
- Who might benefit from these proposals? Who might be hurt?
- How would changes to state lines impact neighboring states and the rest of the country?
- Would you support a proposal like this in your state? What would your state lines look like?
- Can changes like these erode the foundation of our country?
Note that there are many related topics that we won't be discussing at this meeting: states that want to leave the US, statehood for US territories, or giving statehood benefits to residents of Washington, D.C. for example. The focus is on existing states that want to change their shape, size, and relationship with other states.
Join the Crossing Party Lines discussion and have a voice in our Nation’s Conversation! People of all views are welcomed, appreciated, and heard.
For more about this topic:
– History and List of US state partition proposals - Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_partition_proposals
Please do your best to arrive at the beginning of the meeting – once we are in breakout rooms and the conversations have started, the meeting doors close to new arrivals. The breakout rooms open (and the doors close) approximately 15 minutes after the hour.
Sign up here or with a chapter near you:
We would love to hear your thoughts on our social media pages. Don't miss topic announcements, updates, news! Follow us on:
• Instagram @crossingpartylines
• Twitter @crosspartylines
• Facebook @crossingpartylines