This group is for people who want to make lasting friendships, and who can make time for visiting friends regularly and keeping in touch. We believe that sharing life experiences is more important than sharing opinions and beliefs. If you can disagree about Brexit and still be friends, and have time for a good old-fashioned real-life chat, this group is for you.
The group is based in Islington. There may be occasional meetups elsewhere in North London, but this is very limited because I have a disability and find it difficult to travel.
I started this group because I have been to many Meetups, and there are many people who want to make friends. Very few lasting friendships are made because people are too busy to meet again, or they don't have enough in common. This group aims to change that, because everyone is expected to have time to meet friends regularly, and to accept that it is not important to agree about everything.
• All members are expected to have time to meet friends. This doesn't mean that you have to have lots of free time, but it does mean that you can at least meet friends occasionally.
• The aim is to make friends that you will meet outside the group, not just people to talk to in the group or on social media. You don't have to be friends with anyone, but the aim is to meet people who are looking for real friends.
• This is not a dating group. Making friends is a great first step to find a partner, but anyone who joins the group for dating will be removed from the group. This is to create a safe environment for members.
• Be careful about giving personal details to people you meet. It is up to you to use your common sense about meeting people outside the group. You don't have to be friends with anyone. If someone is making you uncomfortable, your intuition is probably right.
• No preaching about personal beliefs such as politics, religion, diet, positive thinking, etc.
• Members are expected to be tolerant of people with different ideas. If you can disagree about politics and still be friends, this group is for you.
• Members are expected to be able to attend meetups at least occasionally. Anyone who never attends meetups may be removed from the group. This is nothing personal, it is just so the group doesn't accumulate a long list of members who never attend.
• Anyone who is unable to follow these rules will be removed from the group. There are plenty of other groups to join, and this may not be the right group for you if you find the rules impossible.