addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cycle Folsom Message Board Equipment and Tech Forum › Suggestions for Headlights, Tail Lights and General Visibility

Suggestions for Headlights, Tail Lights and General Visibility

Nick H.
user 18759521
Orangevale, CA
Post #: 1
Hello everyone,

I tried the $49 stupidbright at
http://www.stupidbright.com/­
They claim 1000 lumens. 3 hour battery life at full power and 6 hour battery life at 50%. There is also a strobe. The strobe is way too much!

I had a 150 cateye which seemed pretty worthless on typical streets. I almost got hit with this on, during dusk time street riding. This near accident had me looking for something brighter and I found this stupid bright light.

I tried one stupidbright during the Tuesday Night Rider. It may be 900 at brightest setting from what my limited knowledge of light is compared to others who had 700 lumens "Bike lights". I usually run it at medium.
I like this so much, I now have three of them. I have one on my fixie, and one on my road bike(s) and one on my helmet. Hard to pass up the $49 price.
It is designed for handlebar attachment and comes with a headband attachment for your head, not your helmet.
I "made" a helmet attachment using their headband adapter.

So now I have one on my handlebar, one on my helmet when I commute. Once in a while I commute home from downtown Sac to Orangevale on the American River Bike Trail (ARBT). WOW! I seem to be able to see ALL the little critters eyeballs on the trail. I was amazed at how many deer are on, and around the ARBT.
The power connector isn't very rugged. I think it can easily be solved with a few changes. I plan to try a few things. Any questions send me a note.
Nick
Brian
TheManTheMachine
Rancho Cordova, CA
Post #: 106
Interesting. The StupidBright looks identical to the Magic Shine MJ 808E with the same specs and price point. I know a lot of folks over at Hammering Wheels that use, and swear by, the Magic Shine on their Tues night ride in the dark and are very happy with it. Good choice and great price.
Scott M.
user 12891876
Folsom, CA
Post #: 6
In March of 2013, I purchased the NiteRider Lumina 650. This is about the sixth serious duty light I've owned in the last 15 years, and arguably the best light I've had the pleasure to own. This light provides 5 1/2 hours of run time on the low setting, which is more than enough light for most needs. Run time on the High setting (650 lumins) is 1.5 hours. The best feature of this light is that it is self contained: there are no secondary batteries or cords to string around. It is also USB rechargeable. The light comes with options for both bar and helmet mount. Suggested retail price for this light was about $150 in March of 2013. I paid less and can't be more pleased.
Scott M.
user 12891876
Folsom, CA
Post #: 13
UPDATED: Well, I dropped the 650 and broke it. So I upgraded. I'm now a huge advocate of the Nightrider Lumina 750. In my opinion it's the best all around light because its bright (750 Lumens), helmet mountable (aim-able), self contained battery, no cables, and reasonable battery life. With your CF discount at Folsom Bikes, you should get out the door for about $110. Helmet mount is extra but well worth the investment.

I recently became a fan of CycleBeam. Mine is bar mounted with external battery and very long life even on the high (900 lumen) setting (like 4 nights of commuting). At about $40 (Amazon) this is an exceptional value. It has blink settings for daytime running and low, medium and blister settings for solid light. The high setting feels like a full 900 L.
Joseph C.
jkchang
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 12
Nightrider Lumina 750 for $64.95 with free shipping from Bikes Direct http://www.bikesdirec...­.