addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Cycling Victoria Off Road - CVOR Message Board › HELP SAVE YOU YANGS FROM EVEN MORE SAND MINING PROPOSALS

HELP SAVE YOU YANGS FROM EVEN MORE SAND MINING PROPOSALS

Darren
Daza
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 13
HELP SAVE YOU YANGS FROM EVEN MORE SAND MINING PROPOSALS

Most would not be aware that a sand mining company has put in a proposal for more sand mining near the You Yangs.

This is on top of what is already there now being mined! The old sand mine we can see from Grand Circle Drive (our return hill to stockyards) is this old mine, that has just been left in disrepair, lets not have anther one on OUR doorstep!

The impact this will have with the huge sand mining trucks transporting to and from the mine around the Youies roads and Little River will be great. Said to be 50 trucks a day for now.

Locals are concerned about impact on water and the eye sore it will create. This is on top of tourism and perhaps even our own enjoyment of mountain biking in the area, not to mention runners, and horse riders on the western section of the Youies.

You can help by sending in an objection on the below links. There is a public meeting in Lara on Thursday night in Lara, I shall attend and see what is proposed and what one can offer in stopping this happening.

Please at the very least if some can write a letter of objection that would help fight our case for all Youies lovers.

Meeting : Lara Public Hall, Flinders AV, Lara, 7pm, Thursday 22nd Oct.

Objections can be made to this application to CoGG by:

• objecting on-line on CoGG Planning Permit Applications
• email (statplanning@geelongcity.vic.gov.au)

or

• in writing to Hugh Griffiths, Planning & Tourism, CoGG, PO Box 104 Geelong Vic 3220, referring to:

1720 BACCHUS MARSH ROAD LITTLE RIVER
Permit Number: 692/2015
‘Use and Development of the Land for Stone (Sand and Soil) Extraction and Removal of Native Vegetation’

http://geelong.starco...­

http://www.geelongadv...­

Thanks
Darren
Darren
Daza
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 14
Below is a link to write an objection letter, it only needs be simple.

Click on the first link and then look for the 405-455 Sandy Creeks Rd Little River (as shown below) for the link to fill out to send.

www.geelongaustralia.com.au/residents/­planning/advertising.aspx

692/2015 405-455 SANDY CREEK ROAD AND 1720 BACCHUS MARSH ROAD LITTLE RIVER 15 Oct 2015 31 Oct 2015
Darren
Daza
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 15
Extra You Yangs sand mining proposal

And why we MTBer's should care!

We often talk about when we go to places like Forrest, Lystie or the like, that we should support the local community, pubs, shops, caravan parks etc.

Well this is no different to wishing to stop this future sand mining proposal at the You Yangs.

Why? The local communities of Lara, Little River and the farmers of the You Yangs regions DON'T want this proposal to go ahead.

Having just attended a 2 hour meeting regarding this in Lara the other night, they (the farmers and locals) even asked the mountain biking community to help band together to stop this proposal.

It's all very well, easy to say "oh but it will not affect the trails we ride there, so why bother".

The following dot points of what came out of the meeting may help you change your mind, as well as some of my own thoughts.

* There is no benefit to the local community if this goes ahead, they DON'T want it, so a good chance for US to support the local community (like we do with Forrest etc).

* Traffic around the Youies, Lara, Little River will increase with up to 50 trucks a day, carrying 60 tons, 6 days a week! Thats one way, so around every 10-15 mins trucks will be going up down the roads bordering the Youies, and the mentioned towns.

* The extra trucks and traffic on the roads WILL affect the local horse riding club next to the site on the western side of the park, local bike riders, Footscray C.C road cycle racing that takes place on Saturdays, and those that park currently and enter the Youies park on their MTBs from Geelong on the western side of the park.

* How long till a cyclist gets killed by these trucks? I often ride these roads myself during the week, and I can tell you when a 60 ton truck is within even a few hundred meters from you and then passes you, you sure know about it.

* These truck movements will be from first light till around 5pm, SIX DAYS a week. This will affect cycling as a whole in the area.

* When you drive to the Youies down You Yangs road, you will notice an old blue stone bridge over Little River creek, built 149 years ago. It is already cracking from previous and current truck movements. It was not designed for 60 ton trucks!

* You will also notice a number of pot holes broken up bitumen on that stretch of road, the current band of trucks have done this, this will only get worse. Consider the locals, not just us when contemplating this.

* There are already sand mines there, 3 in fact, that have been left in disrepair and abandoned in some cases for 8 years. Evident by the site north of Grand Circle drive that we ride past.

* The amazing thing is that the current mining sites are not short of sand, they were just not viable, and left in disrepair.

* The other amazing thing that came out is that there are a number of other such sand mining sites that are around Vic and they are running a only 60% or so of capacity due to there being no demand for this type of sand

* They get just $12 a ton for this sand!! It is not sustainable as once its gone in a few years that's it, the land is then unworkable. Farming in area of wheat, barley, canola is sustainable and has been for 100 years and will be for next 100 years!

* Local framers next to the new proposed site say their farms will be unviable, due to dust on food crops, barley and wheat, canola. Even sheep will be affected with dust in their fleece.

* Water tables will be affected in local area, as this sand needs to be washed, as 50% is dirt, hence water that can should be used for farming will be used for this. The run-offs go into the streams that flow off the Youies. This affects local wild life.

* I was amazed by photos shown how river courses that flowed once from the Youies had been diverted by past mining and amazing lakes that even I never knew existed have dried up. With affects on local wild life.

* Also was interesting to hear how many overseas visitors the Youies gets from nature lovers, with the local wild life in the park being one attraction. With yet anther sand mine from look out points, this will take away their and locals enjoyment, not to mention the impact on the local wild life due to water table streams drying up not just due to low rain falls, but the washing sand.

* And lets not forget the You Yangs has huge Aboriginal significance.

* When the company proposing the mining was asked why did they not advertise their proposal, and just put two small planning permits on a fence that no one could see, their reply was "we did not think anyone would care"!!!

These are just some points, so yes we bikers should care and help the local community as they have given us these trails in their community, and they are asking us for our help.

We only have a week to object, objections end on 31st Oct.

Contact details of who to write to posted above