Coding Naked – Unit testing those hard to reach places.
Code coverage with quality unit tests is your first line of defense to reducing technical debt, increasing code quality and accelerating your ability to change and adapt code (without breaking it) while continuing to add new features. Most TDD sessions focus on the easy to test areas of your code base that are almost never what you experience getting back to your desk. Come learn why TDD is not a fancy practice for the coding elite, but an understandable, obtainable and practical approach to delivering value for every developer, and how, when done properly, will increase communication and design between the business stakeholders and developers.
We'll spend some time looking at practical steps to move towards & embrace TDD. We'll overview the normal roadblocks that people typically run into, and practical coding strategies to overcome those roadblocks on your way to embracing a Test Driven Development lifestyle - make coding without tests as uncomfortable as coding (or camping) naked!
From the author of Automated Unit Tests chapter in the Wrox Book "Real World .NET, C# and Silverlight - Indispensable Experience from 15 MVPs", we will learn:
• Distinguish between the 4 major elements of automated unit tests. Code, Tests, Testing Framework and Test Runners and how they interact with each other to round out your engineering practices.
• Discover how Mocking Frameworks and DI make your tests easier to read and write in everyday life.
• Dig into better ways to write and organize your tests so that they communicate intent, document your code for you and bridge the gap between development and business needs.
• We'll take a more specific look at those "hard to reach" places like the edges of your code, extension methods, and other interesting scenarios
* everyone will leave their clothes on - it's not that kind of party!
About the Speaker:
Caleb Jenkins is an international speaker, author, and 6 time Microsoft MVP award recipient. He's been a keynote speaker at the Tulsa Tech Fest, a featured presenter in Tel Aviv, Israel, and has presented at numerous .NET user groups and events across the country over the last 10 years. Caleb is an entertaining and informative speaker that approaches software from a fresh perspective that spans UX, Agile and enterprise engagements from across the globe. He has previously led UX product design teams, coached multi-team agile transformations and architected and mentored at some of the largest companies in the world. As a longtime community leader and former Microsoft Developer Evangelist Caleb is well known for his engaging speaking style, depth of knowledge and creative energy.
He lives in the Dallas area where he continues to date his beautiful wife and busies himself coaching soccer and playing Xbox with his four incredible children.
You can follow Caleb on twitter @calebjenkins or read his blog at developingUX.com