addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

DIYbio Toronto Message Board › N-Fix tech could drastically reduce agricultural fertilizer use

N-Fix tech could drastically reduce agricultural fertilizer use

Eric B.
user 5529367
Group Organizer
Toronto, ON
Post #: 8
http://www.gizmag.com...­

Looks really cool, but it makes me wonder why this kind of bacteria isn't already super wide-spread in nature?!? Anyone know more about this?
David L.
user 40797092
Toronto, ON
Post #: 7
I can at least suggest a Darwinian explanation for your question: we have evolved to look out for our own interests, and one of the concomitants of this evolved trait is that we have a bias toward thinking that things "ought" to serve us. Thus it is natural for us to think the utterly ridiculous thought that if some bacterium makes our food grow better, then nature ought to supply more of that bacterium than it actually does. smile

A related question might be Why are there so many dandelions on my lawn and so few orchids?

-dlj.

Michael Y.
user 94483532
Shrewsbury, MA
Post #: 2
On a related note... 50% of N needs are currently being met by the Haber process which has been pushed to about 98% of its thermodynamic limits.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. biggrin