We are pleased that PeerSource is again opening up their offices for our May 7th meeting.
10303 E. Dry Creed Rd, 1st Floor
Englewood, CO 80112
5:30pm - Food and Networking
- Beer and water provided by Abbey Overlee of PeerSource (https://www.mypeersource.com/).
- Pizza and soda provided by Braden Colip of Apex Systems (https://www.apexsystems.com/).
- $5 Starbucks cards to 10 first-timers provided by Janet Moore.
6:00pm - 5 Essential SQL Skills Every Developer should know - Michael Carducci
There's nothing new or exciting about relational databases. We abstract them away with ORMS, grudgingly write a query here or there, but generally try to forget about them entirely. Then the performance and scalability problems begin. “Shading, the secret ingredient to the web-scale sauce” often won't help us.
The database is at the heart of nearly every system we build. Reading data and writing data account for the majority of performance bottlenecks. When it comes to SQL and relational databases, the syntax is easy, but the concepts often aren't. The most important knowledge is not obvious but it is necessary to make the right design, query, and optimization decisions.
Indexing, a glimpse under the hood of the storage engine and the query optimizer, and some best practices are all you need to know bring your DB skills head and shoulders above your peers and ready to build bigger, better, faster apps.
About Michael Carducci:
For nearly 20 years, Michael was a software engineer moonlighting as a magician. Now he's a magician moonlighting as a software engineer. In both endeavors he has dedicated himself to mastery and has gained deep insights both from his eclectic interests, entrepreneurial spirit, and experience that spans the full stack, the entire project lifecycle, and several technologies,
His time is equally divided between performing around the world, jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, and building software that doesn't suck.
2) A one month subscription to AgileLearner (https://www.agilelearner.com/) provided by Venkat Subramaniam
3) A ticket to ÜberConf (https://uberconf.com) on July 16-19, 2019 at Westin Westminster. Provided by Jay Zimmerman.