Let's get together and discuss data science! Ever wondered how the social media newsfeeds work? Or how do banks know which credit card transactions are fraud? Or how manufacturing giants can predict factory floor issues before they happen? Then this meetup is for you.
We will meet every other week and discuss data science case studies, standard interview questions, the latest advancements, research papers & tech talks, projects we are working on, unsolved challenges, have guest speakers and network.
You can be a beginner, expert or simply curious about data science. I started this group so that enthusiasts and professionals of all skill levels can see and learn from each about different data science case studies, and relevant statistics / machine learning / artificial intelligence / domain knowledge / heuristics that can help.
As a positive side effect - the topics we discuss often overlap with interview questions for data scientist / machine learning engineer positions.
We will meet every other week and discuss topics in Data Science. I will bring Data Science books and reference material I am currently reading, and projects I'm working on. I encourage you to read up about this week's topics, bring books we can discuss, Data Science questions and your laptops.
- First 30mins we start with introductions, current data science projects we're working on, and challenges faced
- Then we break into micro groups to brainstorm discuss specific data science topics for an hour
- The core group tries their hand at a data science problem (usually case studies from from Glassdoor interview questions)
- Presentations from the micro groups about their topics
**This week's case study** options include:
- Netflix: How would you build and test a metric to compare two user's ranked lists of movie/tv show preferences?
- If you had to build a feature for YouTube what would it be and how would you measure its performance?
If you have suggestions for topics or would like to present your work ( for > 20mins) to the group please reach out to the organizer by direct message.
Some other good topics to discuss:
- Recent industry research and/or publications from conferences like ICML, KDD, NeurIPS
- Concepts in applied statistics, cognitive computing, graph alrogithms, optimization, evolutionary algorithms, artificial intelligence, machine learning, natural language processing, geoanalytics etc.
- Compare languages & libraries (R, python, Scala, tidyverse, scikit) vs fast prototyping frameworks (H2O, Knime)
- Deployment infrastructure and techniques for your models
- Share your side-hustles, projects, and challenges
- Policy, decision science, and data driven journalism (think Nate Silver election analysis)
- Ethical development of algorithms, and algorithmic bias
- Interpretability, reproducibility, and communication of results
You should join if you are a:
- Practicing Data Analyst or Data Scientist looking to expand your field of knowledge and brainstorm solutions
- Software engineer, analyst, or hobbyist intent aspiring trying to break into Data Science
- Corporation or Non Profit Organization looking for analytics talent
- Product manager or director or policy maker or startup founder interested in discussing how Data Science can help your team
- Artist working with public or personal data in art works
- Anyone intrigued by all this but not specifically categorized :)
If you're interested in data visualization, perception & cognition research check out our other meetup group: https://www.meetup.com/SVDataVizMeetup/
*Red Rock is a local community coffee shop, please support with your purchases. Also it gets really quite busy so plan to arrive before time.