addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Dallas-Plano Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Businesses inserting god in my face

Businesses inserting god in my face

I N P.
Planogal
Plano, TX
Post #: 23
I am (so far) a customer of ABC Pest Control. I called today to discuss a bill and the phone was answered, "God bless America, this is xxxx, may I help you?" I had to ask if this was even the right number, or a church. She said I had the right number, then when she transferred me, I got the same greeting! So it's company-wide, I suppose. Finally got an accountant who answered with just his name. I'm now looking for a new pest control company. Just thinking, do these employees all agree to answer the phone like that? Are they forced to? Is it a condition of employment? Hopefully it's just a local office gone amuck, rather than nationwide.
Wes
WesW
Dallas, TX
Post #: 154
Admittedly, a lot of things irritate me, but this is one of the worst.

I grew up learning that people should keep their businesses and their religion separate, but increasingly this isn't the case. Clerks at Walmart keep telling me to "Have a blessed day" --- I know: my own fault for shopping there in the first place --- and there at least one grocery store I won't go into because every fourth song on their loudspeaker is contemporary Christian.
Philip
pkizer
Plano, TX
Post #: 41
I really try to keep up with local news. It's as and often more important on the political and elections front than the bigger statewide or national events.

Recently The Dallas Morning News has been shutting down some of the local operations and using neighborsco.com as the source and provider of their local coverage.

Imagine my surprise when my feed suddenly popped up with 2 fresh items last night by Joel Osteen under "Today's Word" that was a bible verse and a short bit of (what I believe was meant to be motivational) preaching.

So...I definitely complained, but checking archives on neighborsgo it appears this is a pattern that goes back at least a couple of years. There's still pegasusnews.com and www.topix.com/city/plano-tx­, but it's still highly annoying to me that the big regional paper is moving to a regional and local news provider that's showing a pattern like this.

Anyone got any better sources of local news?
Prasad G.
user 12888063
Plano, TX
Post #: 10
I call them the 'fish shops.' Until "I am a Christian" is a substitute for "honest, good and decent," businesses will continue fleecing the customers under the fish banner. In the least I would expect them to be no less reasonable than any other business. I just find it a little bit irritating when the salesman tries to push the company's product under the fish banner. But I try not to hold it against them. ;)

Because integrity is first and foremost from a customer's point of view, the businesses try to sell the obvious. They start off on the wrong foot in that department with me when they pull out the fish.

However, I don't believe there is a systematic method to all this. The owners and founders of companies have a big say in how these companies are run. Also, companies evolve to what works.

I dug up an article related to this published on CNN website a few months back. As can be seen some of these companies have gotten quite big. It works. :)

http://religion.blogs...­
A former member
Post #: 137
It's not religion that they are pushing - it's nationalism.

It's "us versus them".
David P.
dprice
Addison, TX
Post #: 12
I recently had a phone book called "The Shepard's Guide" dropped at my door. All listings are companies that have signed a Christian pledge, which is described in the preface of the book (the usual "Jesus Christ is my personal savior" etc.) . What's scary is the large number of companies in the book. I suspect some might just be trying to get more customers. I kept the book as a reference of companies that I might want to avoid. I don't mind companies having Christians, but when it is portrayed that the company is automatically better just because of religious belief, and when they exclude all non-Christian companies, it just becomes more unwanted evangelizing.
A former member
Post #: 30
Try looking for a job and on almost every interview I am asked if I am a Christian? I work as a Private Chef so I guess because I will be in someones home they think they have the right to judge me- I do of course stand my ground and say I am not but then they ask "What are you" and I lie and say Im just not into organized religion and that usually stops the questioning.
Brandy S
Brandy98
Rowlett, TX
Post #: 255
Do you know how hard it is to say "We aren't religious" to my moms group? Often?

My head hurts from keeping it all in but I really do NOT want to start that debate in my moms group!

I LOVE the keeping of the phonebook with Christian companies to use to avoid them. LOVE IT.