What we're about
Education • Networking • Encouragement • Advocacy
The Dallas Songwriters is a non-profit 501 C3 organization. Our monthly meetings are the second Tuesday Workshop at the Center for Community Cooperation, First Monday SongSwap Workshop at Half Price Books in Dallas, third Monday Songswap Workshop at Tino's in Plano, third Thursday Open Mic at Dunn Brothers Coffee in Addison, and first Tuesday showcase at the Balcony Club in Lakewood.
We exist to enhance thel personal growth and professionalism of our members through the following means:
• Provide practical guidance for songwriters/artists on common standards and expectations within the music industry.
• Sharpen required competencies for excelling in the song writing profession.
• Serve as a forum for networking among peers and with industry experts to generate career opportunities.
• Serve as a non-political advocate for songwriters and performers in liaison with peer organizations throughout the country.
Includes established independent and staff songwriters, performing artists, people actively seeking entry into the industry, entertainment law practitioners; and others who are simply interested in songwriting and/or performing as a hobby.
Monthly Workshops which feature guest speakers from all fields of the music industry.
• Critique sessions that give honest, creative, and helpful advice on improving writing style and technique.
• Showcases that are designed to provide a platform for the performance of original songs. These events embrace a variety of musical styles and cultural backgrounds.
• Seminars and workshops throughout the year which feature faculty from major educational institutions, respected industry businesses, and aware winning songwriters.
•Songwriters Notes, a newsletter which features local, national, and international information valuable to songwriters.
•Song contests which provide an opportunity to award prizes and scholarships to songwriters. Social interaction and networking with other arts related organizations and industry professionals. Many of these activities have been sponsored or cosponsored by local and national music industry businesses.
• Community service through our programs Songwriters Connecting to Seniors & Songwriting in the Schools.