addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Dallas User Experience Group Message Board › Need help - Justifying using Axure over Balsamiq

Need help - Justifying using Axure over Balsamiq

Bryan D.
user 80347632
Arlington, TX
Post #: 7
I'm new to my company. I need all the features and functionality of Axure but my director (in India) is telling me that I need to use Balsamiq instead.

I'm not a code developer... at all.

• My HTML prototypes need to be highly detailed and interactive
  • My HTML prototypes need to be posted securely behind our firewall
  • I also need to produce lots of documentation
  • I need to effortlessly view my prototypes without exporting them first
  • I need to export my prototypes without any technical knowledge

Is Axure the only app out the two (Axure and Balsamiq) that can do all that?

Does anyone have experience with this?
Ben J.
Plano, TX
Post #: 7
Some random thoughts and info...

Balsamiq definitely does not produce interactive prototypes, HTML or otherwise. There are, however, 3rd-party apps that integrate with Balsamiq to make your static sketches interactive. My experience with these a few years ago was unsatisfactory. (They have improved since; I don't know.)

Neither Balsamiq nor Axure require any knowledge of code.

If I were you, I would ask your director to provide justification for dictating which design tool to use. If you are certain Axure is the right tool for the work you're doing, you don't need to explain why. Just produce results.

Philosophically, the job of a designer in an organization is to help the group achieve a shared vision and understanding about a preferred future experience users will have with your product. The job of the designer is not to use a particular design tool because someone tells you to use it!

With that said, I would try to practice empathy for my Director (and others in the group) and try to understand why Balsamiq is the preferred tool. Who knows, the reasons may have nothing to do with the design process itself.

One option is you could go ahead and do your prototype in Axure, using the "sketchiness" effect (so it looks kinda like what Balsamiq produces.) If the reason Balsamiq is preferred is purely aesthetic, you can make Axure do something very similar quite easily.

I hope that helps!