THE 21ST CENTURY WILL BE ETHICAL OR THERE WON'T BE A 22ND ONE. GDPR IS THE KICK IN THE ASS WE NEEDED TO START A NEW ERA.
Location and time : Thursday 15 June 2017, 6:30 pm-8:30 pm at DigitYser, Boulevard d'Anvers 40, 1000 Brussels
• Introduction by Pierre-Nicolas Schwab (RTBF)
• Michael Ekstrand (https://www.linkedin.com/in/mdekstrand/) (Boise State University, Idaho, USA) : "Responsible Recommendation". Michael will be our special guest. He gave a very noticed speech at the RecSys conference held at MIT in Boston in 2016 and will share his views on the subject with us.
• Pierre-Nicolas Schwab (https://www.linkedin.com/in/pnschwab/) (RTBF) : "How GDPR is paving the way for more ethical algorithms"
• Jochanan Eynikel (https://www.linkedin.com/in/jochananeynikel/) (Etion) : "Beyond the bloody math. On the ethics of autonomous technology"
• Leenke De Donder (https://www.linkedin.com/in/leenkededonder/) (FourSevens) : "Deceiving Data visualization: how to screw it up in the end"
• Toon Borré (https://www.linkedin.com/in/tborre/) (TriFinance) : "Data & ethics: One ring to bind us all?"
• Thomas Carette (https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomascarette/) (Axa) : "Data ethics in the retail financial sector: status update"
Following the success of the diSummit a team has initiated the theme of this meetup where data and ethics will be discussed. We hope this is only the first of a series on this important topic.
First discussions at diSummit included presentation by Pierre-Nicolas (https://www.linkedin.com/in/pnschwab/) on his work on ethical recommendation systems at RTBF (see here (http://www.intotheminds.com/blog/en/data-innovation-summit-2017-big-data-for-greater-good/)).
For those interested to read about Big Data and ethics, check out these articles :
• How recommendations work at Meetup (http://www.intotheminds.com/blog/en/big-data-and-ethics-how-recommendations-work-at-meetup-com/)
• Are we leaving in the matrix ? (http://www.intotheminds.com/blog/en/are-we-living-in-the-matrix/)
• Big Data : here's the next revolution (http://www.intotheminds.com/blog/en/big-data-heres-the-next-revolution/)
• Artificial intelligence: why we need respectful algorithms (http://www.intotheminds.com/blog/en/artificial-intelligence-why-we-need-respectful-algorithms/)