For our September Meetup, we're presenting the work of seven (at least!) data scientists from our community. These lightning talks will include highlights of work presented at recent or upcoming academic conferences, demos of tools and techniques that people are excited about, and more, each in less than 10 minutes. This is a great way to see a cross section of the data science work being done in the broader DC area!
NOTE: We are meeting at 1776's offices in Crystal City, VA this month. Two blocks from the Crystal City Metro stop, and plenty of parking! Virginia members, it's your turn to not have to cross the river!
Tentative Speaker/Affiliation/Topic list:
• David Harkness - National Geographic - Moneyball for news headlines
• Travis Hoppe - Postdoc, NIH - Making an AI that creates popular Reddit posts.
• Steve Bogart - Grant St Group - 'SankeyMatic'
• Robert Dempsey - ARPC - Creating your 1st predictive model in Python
• Dalila Benachenhou - GWU - Cooking small world networks
• David Trossman - NASA Goddard SFC - Using an inverse method to calculate oceanic mixing
• Dennis McDonald - Big Data Project Management
• Your Name Here! Get in touch if you'd like to speak, either this time or at a future Lightning Talks event!
6:30pm -- Networking, Empenadas, and Refreshments
7:00pm -- Introduction
7:15pm -- Presentations
8:30pm -- Post presentation conversations and adjourn for Data Drinks (Highline RxR, 2010-A Crystal Dr)
This event is sponsored by 1776, Statistics.com, Deep Learning Analytics, Elder Research, Novetta Solutions, and Booz Allen Hamilton. (Would your organization like to sponsor too? Please get in touch!)