addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Data Visualization London Message Board › Good morning on this fine Sunny day

Good morning on this fine Sunny day

Stewart T.
user 4087854
Group Organizer
Manchester, GB
Good morning

Short update we have the agenda nearly finalised and details are below Im also working on sharing a venue with the Hadoop meetup at present, trying to get somewhere funky and low cost in London is proving interesting so before the agenda a few call to actions

*Do you know of a nice central London location that has Wifi/Projector and is a bit different that we could steal for the evening to host the event.

*Who is the key/top/coolest well respected UK Visualisation person I have a slot on the Big Data community meetup panel and they will be sat alongside Doug Cutting (Co founder Apache Hadoop foundation) and Hilary Mason (Chief Scientist Bit.ly)

Suggestions for both on a postcard please :-)

Agenda is below.

18:30 - Welcome and networking (maybe some beer and pizza)

19:00 - 10-15 min. talks

• Paul Gesiak, Data Scientist @Datasift - Gephi on steroid - visualizing breaking news using Gephi in real time.

2. Ben Hagan - D3 and the real time firehose - driving 250m tweets into a visualization.

3. James Cheshire - Spatial Analysis and CASA

Here's a link: http://spatialanalysi...­

About Me: Dr. James Cheshire is a lecturer at the UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis. James' research focuses on the analysis and visualisation of large population datasets, and he is becoming increasingly renowned for producing visualisations with the R software platform. His work has been featured in the likes of National Geographic Magazine, The Times Atlas of London and the Evening Standard.

Title: Sensing the City: Mapping and Analysing London's Population Data Flows

4. Francesco D'Orazio - 10 reasons why we visualize data"

The cognitive and strategic reasons why data viz really makes a difference on dealing with big data.

20:00 - QA session

20:30 - Wrap up and continue networking at the pub.

Don't forget this event is part of www.bigdataweek.com so start spreading the word about the other events, if you are linked to any other events in locations across the planet let them know and see if they want to organise a event locally or if they have done so then let me know so I can promote it.

In terms of Data Scientist events then check out Monday April 23rd for more details, this is the other event I co-organise called Data Science London with over 400 members it is the defacto group for Data Scientists in London and is a must attend meetup after of course Data Viz London.

Big Data Week, Panel Discussion April 24th. This is a great opportunity to attend a discussion with top panelists. See below:

Doug Cutting, co-founder of the Apache Hadoop project and creator of Nutch and Lucene
Nick Halstead - Founder/CTO DataSift
Hilary Mason – Bit.ly Chief Scientist
Edd Dumbill – Co-Chair Strata Conference – Moderator

You can register for this event here

So a short snappy summary there are of course Hadoop User Group meetup, Big Data London, Machine Learning events taking place the same week, for more details GO HERE.

Thanks once again for your support and I look forward to meeting you all.

@stewarttownsend