addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Denver Anime Meetup Group Message Board › Senior thesis and work product help request from a high school senior and an

Senior thesis and work product help request from a high school senior and anime fan in Denver

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello Denver Anime Connoisseurs:

My name is Dan Marks. I’m a senior at the Denver School of Science and Technology, and I will be working on a six month senior project in class focused on anime and manga. I have been watching anime for roughly five years, and have either completed or am actively watching a total of 43 distinct series, so I have some familiarity with the content. I plan to create a lengthy, high-quality, and hopefully profound manga as my work product for the class and will write a research paper discussing distinctions between Japanese and American society as depicted by the television programming of each nation. However, I have no experience with the art of manga nor have I much knowledge of Japanese culture. In order to proceed with my project, I will need to eventually identify an adviser of sorts that can help to guide me through my pursuits.

I have never attended a meeting of this group; despite this, I am hopeful that somebody here might have a lead, preferably local, to whom I could write in an attempt to locate a mentor. If you have any ideas, please contact me at through this discussion board in the near future. Thank you for your time!

Dan
John
jcfiala
Group Organizer
Denver, CO
Post #: 501
If you're interested in reading up on some manga, there's a number of free sites on the web which have translated manga to view, or, you can get manga out at the Denver Library - I suggest hitting the online web site first and browsing around, because it's really easy to get into the wonders of inter-library loan that way.

As for Japanese Culture, and Japanese culture as regards anime, I suggest having a look at the library again - there's a number of books that have been produced in the last ten to twenty years discussing Japanese culture, and I'm sure the library's got a number of those as well.