- Shop Tour: Far Away Creations - Costume / Prop Maker in Loveland
Ever wonder who makes all those replica props in the movies? Companies like Far Away Creations, that's who! You may have seen them at Denver Comic Con or Maker Faire Denver, and now you can tour their shop. See how techniques such as vacuum forming and CNC routing, plus electrical and mechanical engineering go into mold making, costume and set design. Far Away Creations provides creative and fabrication services in practical effects. This means actual physical effects and tangible items versus computer generated digital effects. I'm excited to see their shop for the first time. Come with me! All ages welcome. No pets please. More info on Far Away Creations here on their website: http://www.farawaycreations.com/
- FRIDAY FLASH! Factory Tour - KOTA Longboards - Denver
FLASH TOUR! THIS FRIDAY! KOTA LONGBOARDS in Denver I have been on the road for the day job for awhile now, but I was able to squeeze in a Denver tour THIS FRIDAY! We are visiting KOTA Longboards at their new shop! We visited them a few years ago and they have since exploded into a new location. I'm so excited!! I hope you'll join me! Please wear Closed Toed Shoes! Supervised Youth Welcome!! Note for directions and parking: The only access is off of Florida due to road construction. Street parking usually frees up around that time on Fridays. https://kotalongboards.com/
- Just In - Exclusive Event: Les Machines de L'ile - Live Stream from France
Alliance Française de Denver
• What we'll do Watch Live Streaming from Nantes, France: Come and Discover the Magic of the Machines de l'Ile de Nantes! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machines_of_the_Isle_of_Nantes Live video feed from the Gallery of the Machines in Nantes, where the machines will be operated for us in Denver! And live discussion with the co-authors, François Delarozière and Pierre Orefice. We will discuss their new project, The Herons Tree. (L'Arbre aux hérons à Nantes) Presented by the French American Chamber of Commerce Colorado in partnership with the Alliance Française de Denver Example Machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTnYOWi1RI This a free event but PLEASE sign up here so the organizers can confirm the venue space required: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScRryT4u8e_p5T6Gj2yBEJwSxVyfwpFcGGNZCb1uhfUcC3xYg/viewform • What to bring You, your partner, your kids, your neighbors, your neighbors kids and probably some popcorn to watch this fantastic show! • Important to know This is a just announced special event that is coming up FAST. This Saturday. Information may be changing so please keep up with the latest info on this facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/150116515681655/ And one more time, this a free event but PLEASE sign up here so the organizers can confirm the venue space required: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScRryT4u8e_p5T6Gj2yBEJwSxVyfwpFcGGNZCb1uhfUcC3xYg/viewform
- Demo a New Learning Platform! 4th - 8th Grade Level Youth
• What we'll do A special activity for STEAM WEEK!! Explore a new innovation in hands-on learning that combines physical manipulatives and online learning in science. The tool was developed with alignment with latest science standard to develop your student's critical thinking, scientific inquiry and learning through discovery. This tool is currently being used in several schools in Denver metro area and it is being brought out during STEAM Week to introduce it homeschoolers and teachers in this area. This meeting will give an opportunity for students to play with the toolkit and for educators (parents and teachers) to experience the teacher's dashboard to monitor the student's progress. The activity starts at 6 pm and pizza and beverages will be served! It's an activity for 4th - 8th grade students and a great free family night out! More information here: http://c3do.ideaitlab.com • What to bring Please bring your own device, a Chromebook is preferred for students. A limited number of Chromebooks will be available. Please let us know if you need one. • Important to know The lesson is most suitable for youth in 4th grade to 8th grade, or in a comparable grades if you are homeschooled.
- Factory Tour - Schacht Spindle
In honor of STEAM WEEK.... Let's go on a tour!! For the spinner, weaver and fiber artist in you!…... come with us on a factory tour to see manufacturing of looms, spindles and accessories. Schacht Spindle manufactures in a 35,000 square foot factory with 25 employees, and are one of the world's leading makers of handweaving looms and spinning wheels.. More on their history and offering here. http://www.schachtspindle.com Schacht Spindle is another local manufacturing hero. Let's go!
- Maker Faire Denver
Hello! It's been a summer of travel for me (work) and I regret I haven't been able to schedule any Factory Tours lately. :( Fall/Winter is looking better as my work assignment is changing, so I hope to see many of you soon! In the meantime, it's that time of year again for Maker Faire! This is the Big One! (no more of that 'mini' shenanigans) ! :) If you're looking for some Maker Inspiration, check it out! Maker Faire Denver this year includes the 9th SparkFun AVC (Autonomous Vehicle Competition)! Additional events include 3 Arenas of over 100 Combat Bots, and Fashion Hackers, a Steam Train, Quad Copters, 14 Makerspaces from around the state, and much much more.... https://denver.makerfaire.com for Tickets! Hope you see you! -Karen
- Sparks & Spirits - Distillery Tasting and Makers After Dark - Lafayette Arts Hub
We have some really fun stuff planned for this 21+ event! Celebrate Making with this Annual Colorado Maker Hub Fundraiser and Maker Mixer. Have a Saturday Night out on the town, sampling local craft distillers and yummy snacks, interacting with Light, Fire and Sound Art and all-you-can-draw - Back of the napkin sketches for your next $1MM idea.* *results may vary :P Link to Event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1694332717562861/ $45+ Find tickets here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sparks-spirits-tickets-31308473487 Use Code 'friends' for $5 off ticket.
- Unique Opportunity to Play Test New AI Toy - Kids 5-11 yrs old
Here's another Fun and Free activity for the kiddos!! This is a unique opportunity to play test a new smart toy system. A member of a local Makerspace is a Toy Designer who has designed and built a brand new AI toy and would like to share it with some curious kiddos to get some feedback. Details are below..... The system has My Little Pony dolls that converse with one another. The kids control which one's talk by moving them close to one another. There are adventures, and stories, and context free AI based interactions. Here is some additional background info on the designer and project: https://sites.google.com/isaacdavenport.com/toys2life/home Sounds like a really cool project that encourages imagination, dialog, sharing and learning. Add this to your evening activity and pop in anytime between 5pm and 8pm to get setup with the demonstration. Please respond to the meetup with the # of kiddos (not including yourself). If you can share in the comments an approximate time that works for you, please do! It will help with the coordination. Thanks!
- Factory Tour - Sleeping Giant Brewing Company
Wondering how the Front Range can be home to so many Craft Brews? Small Brewers typically start out with a tap room and small pilot plant. However, once sales take off, they need to take the leap to the next level. Enter Sleeping Giant Brewing Company, a co-manufacturer of our favorite local and national craft brews. (A Co-Manufacturer makes products for multiple brands and doesn't necessarily market their own) They are the first and only dedicated contract brewery west of the Mississippi. Multiple process and packaging lines are filling craft brews every day and we get to see [but not taste :(] how they do it up close and personal. Here's their website for more background: http://www.sleepinggiantbrewing.com/ Supervised youth are welcome!
- Machine Shop Tour - Make a Key Chain - FRCC
Longmont is home to many many Makers and we have an opportunity to tour Front Range Community College Advanced Technology Center! The center has been a hub for energy technology programs as well as industrial maintenance technician, production and processing skills development. They have a machine shop, too! FRCC is opening their doors for a tour and we get to get hands-on with a project! We are limited in space for this one, due to the use of shop equipment, so please do sign up if you're interested. (And also drop off if you cannot make it to allow for other to join). Here is detail location/parking info: https://www.frontrange.edu/campuses/maps-and-directions/boulder-campus-maps/advanced-technology-center I will send exact meeting location inside the building as we get closer. The activity involves full size fabrication equipment and youth 15 years of age and up are invited to participate in the activity. Younger youth can still get exposure but from afar. Parent supervision is required for youth under 18.