I am a photography teacher and educator located in Edmonton, Alberta. I created and run Digital Photo Mentor ( https://www.digitalphotomentor.com/ ) where I publish articles, tutorials, product reviews, and more. I also have online courses and photography workshops and tours available if you want more learning opportunities.
I created this group to be able to do more local classes and events for you YEG folks!
I want to see what everyone is interested in first, then I'll build some evening classes and possibly some weekend workshops. Some possible topics include (these are all classes I've taught before or can teach).
- Portrait photography using natural light - Off-camera flash - Street photography - Fine art photography - Photo editing using Lightroom - Photoshop tips or help - Photo editing using Luminar by Skylum (it's perfect for beginners or as an alternative if you do NOT wish to pay Adobe monthly for the right to use Photoshop or Lightroom) - Travel photography - Basic camera settings - The exposure triangle (how to get good exposures and read the histogram) - Composition tips and image reviews - Night photography including things like starry skies, Milky Way, star trails, light trails, and light painting
So come join and tell me what you would be interested in learning! I'm listening.
Shooting RAW files for the first time is scary. You get them home and then what?! Well, this is the workshop for you if you can relate to that scenario.
FREE HANDS-ON WORKSHOP
Bring your laptop for this one and follow along as I demonstrate some photo editing basics - how to process RAW image files.
Everyone will get a few of my RAW files to practice with and follow along as I go over some basic steps of photo editing including:
- how to assess the image
- what to do first
- how to fix and/or adjust the brightness or exposure
- how to remove a color cast or tint
- how to adjust the contrast the right way
- how to set the saturation so the colors pop but it's not overdone
- how to do b/w conversion the right way
- how to darken the sky
- how to adjust skin tones
- basic sharpening
- noise reduction
- and more...
We'll go through as much as we have time for in 2 hours and I'll stick around and go Q&A at the end and try and help you with any individual questions or issues you're having.
You can also bring your own images if you prefer to work on them.
THIS WORKSHOP IS FOR YOU IF:
- You struggle with photo editing
- You aren't happy with your current workflow or methods
- You are interested in seeing how others (a pro) does it
- You haven't got a preferred image editor and want help choosing
- You want to see Lightroom and Luminar in action
I will be using a combination of Lightroom (current subscription version) and Luminar for this workshop and demonstration.
If you do not have either and you want to follow along, Luminar has a free trial available for download. I believe it is 7 days, so make sure you get it downloaded and installed a couple of days before the workshop so the trial doesn't run out.
Luminar 4 is on pre-order until November 18th, then it will be shipping. Best of all - Luminar is a one-time purchase, NO monthly fees, no subscriptions! You buy it, you own it!
https://www.digitalphotomentor.com/skylum-luminar-software (get more info and download it here).
I also have a discount code but it doesn't apply to the pre-order price for Luminar 4. Use the code: DIGITALPHOTOMENTOR after November 18th to save 15%. Or if you decide to buy it before then, the pre-order discounted price will apply.
Please bring your laptop and your preferred image editing program already installed and running. I cannot help you do any of that or troubleshoot software issues in class.
An open mind and some enthusiasm help too!
I am a Skylum ambassador as well: https://skylum.com/ambassadors/darlene-hildebrandt
Cost of this workshop - FREE!