Discover Albuquerque! Pages
A quick (or maybe not-so-quick) history....
- June 20, 2004: a young engineer fresh out of college moves to Albuquerque for no reasons other than that the job is here and Albuquerque, NM sounded a whole lot better than Hannibal, MO.
- June 21, 2004: said engineer decides that Albuquerque is a brown (and occassionally pink) strip mall positioned on either side of a highway and that really there's no place like home (California, that is). Engineer proceeds to sulk for about a year.
- June 20, 2005: Engineer opens eyes and falls in love with Albuquerque (it may have had something to do with the sunrise over the mountains or the sunset against the mountains or balloons lit up against the mountains or Sadie's salsa or the French fries at Sophia's or the patio at Church Street Cafe or the milkshakes at Route 66 Diner or green chile or the Albuquerque art museum or....).
- June 21, 2005: Our young protagonist starts looking for groups with which to share the rather scatter-shot love of french fries, local art, and hole in the wall patios. The only common thread is that it's all uniquely Albuquerquian. Has some difficulty locating any. Shares a lot with friends and people who are new at work, but wants to explore with a larger community. Has especial difficulty finding groups that connect people new to ABQ with the city and its quirks.
- January 2007: Decides to create a group to share the love.
- January 2008: With impending wedding in the works, young love-struck protagonist hesitantly decides to turn position of group "Organizer" over to Yvonne.
- August 2008: After a short stint of being managed by Yvonne, another reluctant organizer steps up to the plate to keep the interest and events going. Crista (aka: Chris Nyman Weller) has lived in Albuquerque for 7 years and works in Residential Real Estate. She is not the best at advanced planning, and still struggling with getting the next event planned with more than a weeks notice. But, I like to think she is great fun and should be able to come up with some interesting places to Meet Up once she gets the hang of being organizer.
- Crista is always open to help from assistant organizers. Please?... THANK YOU!
- January 2011: Well, two and a half years later... I'm still hanging in there! Crista is still organizing events for Discover Albuquerque, despite several threats to quit, and still doing real estate (all the time overtime ;-) helping folks with residential real estate in the urban core. We recently found a sponsor (Louanne Brown, People's Bank/Lewallen Mortgage) and have the pleasure of working with several assistants who occasionally, actually, host events for the group (Yeh!).
- July 2011: We have been very active with a variety of events thanks to the help of several assistant and event organizers. And, I am still open to adding event organizers ('cause I get in a rut and tend to book the same places and events...). I look forward to watching the group continuing to thrive and grow.
Discover Albuquerque! is an opportunity to have people new to Albuquerque discover the wonderful and beautiful things about the city and have people who love the city already rediscover what it is they love and uncover new adventures. So, if you're looking for something to love in Albuqerque or if there's even one thing you want to share, be it a rockin' cup of coffee, a hidden garden, an art show, or a favorite hike, please join and share the love! Chances are good that through your sharing, someone will find just the thing that they've been looking for.