Welcome to Discover Greater Sarasota! We are a group of people who want to learn more about the history, natural attractions and other offerings available in our area. Our activities include:
· history presentations, with many maps and photographs from archives, that describe Sarasota’s past, and offer insights to its present ;
· nature walks, guided by docents, park rangers or other local experts, that explore the wildlife, plant life, natural features and ecosystems of our area;
· leisurely bike rides that may or may not include historical reference points; and
· fun events such as museums, half-day trips or wine tastings.
Our volunteer organizers offer two to four events each month, with fewer during the summer. We are a not-for-profit organization and most of our events are free. If a park or other attraction charges a separate admission, it will be noted in the event description.
In return, we ask that you observe a few guidelines:
· be aware of your capabilities – some of our walks may be long (two to four miles) and may cover terrain including hot pavement, sandy beaches, gravel paths, hills and other challenges. BRING WATER and match your physical condition to appropriate events. We assume no responsibility or liability for any injuries or hazards;
· do not bring dogs or other pets to events – they are often not admitted to nature areas or museums;
· if you sign up for an event, then find you cannot attend, please use MeetUp to cancel; and
· we want to promote social interaction among our attendees, but this is not a dating site.
If you have any questions about an event, please post them to the event on MeetUp and we will answer. We look forward to seeing you soon!