addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Eckhart Tolle Pasadena Workshops Message Board › Setting Goals vs. Intentions

Setting Goals vs. Intentions

A former member
Post #: 7
At recent gathering of our group, we addressed the idea of setting goals. I was reading something the other day that caught my attention and I started thinking back to this conversation we had. The article suggested that rather than setting goals we set intentions instead.

Setting intentions is a process of achievement and a different way to focus. Intentions have resolve, discipline and commitment where goals are usually associated with a finish line and have the stigma of "having" to get something done. We have been conditioned over the years to set goals. Then when we fall short or don't reach them we have negative emotions.

Goals are usually based on something that will happen in the future. It means you have to plan and have the discipline to achieve them. With goal setting, you are on a journey, so to speak, where you set out with a list of priorities and organize them in them in a certain way to create a path or map. You haven't lived your goals as yet.

"Setting a clear intention is important because it gives direction to your unconscious mind. You form your world with your intention and you hold it together with your attention. Your intention is the direction you choose, the directional system for your attention." When we understand this, it gives us the edge of applying it to whatever we want. Intention = attention = direction.

Intentions are not so much focused on the future but more connected to the present, which is where we all strive to be. Intentions create the incentive, or fuel, to move toward our goals. Intentions come from the heart and create your vision of what you want while goals are created in our minds.

When you create a strong enough reason within yourself to achieve your intentions, you get it done. Writing down my intentions every day has helped me stay on track with what I want, having specific and measurable intentions. And putting them in the present tense helps my intentions to be more specific and measurable. It's defining and visualizing the intention as if you already have it when they are believable and real. If we say we "want" something, it affirms that you don't have it. I had to think on that one for awhile about how my unconscious mind works.

What I have started to do is to visualize my intentions before I fall asleep at night. That way my unconscious mind has something to play with while I sleep. Since doing that I have had the most interesting and vivid dreams. Then when I wake up in the morning, the first thing I think about are those visualizations again with positive affirmations. It sets the mood for my day and changes my perspective from old habits to new intentions.

So, what are your thoughts on this topic?