We are a social group of singles and couples, including all ages of adults who enjoy exploring the wonderful Bay Area of Northern California. In fact, according to the Meetup.com algorithm, we are the most active "Social" group in the Bay Area. Join us and explore cool bars, night clubs, restaurants, museums, vineyards, hiking adventures, house parties, etc. We will also sprinkle in some community volunteer opportunities. We will LEVERAGE our group to receive discounts, extended happy hours, and other great perks that an individual cannot get. Note that we move the party all around the bay area to keep our events interesting and to continually attract new quality citizens of the Bay Area.
***In order to join, you need to be recognizable in your photo. Having an action shot, group photo, or any photo where it's not clear who you are won't work as we take attendance at our events. Topless pics aren't permitted.
Our members range in age from 21 to 80+. We don't discriminate. If you are don't feel comfortable about being around people from different age groups, then you either are just trying to hook up or you haven't grown up yet. This is a very diverse group with a lot of positive energy. Join and you will meet some quality, new friends.
This group is about helping out in the community, having fun, exploring the Bay Area, and meeting new friends while in a safe environment. By joining this group or remaining a member of this group, you agree to refrain from the list of inappropriate behaviors listed below while attending Explore the Bay events or visiting the Explore the Bay Meetup site. If you exhibit any of the following, you will be removed from the group:
• Excessive no shows in relation to the number of events attended. Note that we take attendance at most events except music in the park events. Members are responsible to monitor their own registration status. When you are on a waiting list, don't assume that you won't get in to an event.
• Repeatedly bailing out of events on the day the event is scheduled. A high frequency of this behavior can lead to being removed from the group. Note that if you bail out the same day of an event, you will be marked as a "no show".
• Sending spam emails to members to promote a business, event, etc. without permission of the main organizer.
• Posting comments on an event page or using the "Start a conversation..." functionality to promote a business, event, etc. without permission of the main organizer.
• Not having a picture where you are recognizable. If you aren't recognizable in your ETB profile picture, then you are subject to removal and will have to request to rejoin the group with a valid photo.
• Sending emails to members you haven't met for the purposes of dating or picking up. This isn't a dating website.
• Having multiple profiles with the group. Only one profile is permitted per person.
• Excessive posting of comments or negative comments on event wall-space. This requires the Event Host to volunteer additional time. It also causes members to waste time looking for important event updates. Note that there is no need to tell us that you won't be attending an event. Merely change your registration status.
• Texting or calling the Organizer for any reason other than trying to find the group during a meetup event. Note that the number is provided as a courtesy to facilitate finding the group only. No exceptions.
• Being touchy or physical with another member (overly aggressive).
• Causing another member to feel uncomfortable based upon behavior OR comments (creepiness). Note that INITIATING flirting with members half your age will not be tolerated.
• Bringing former members of the group to an event as your guest is not permitted.
• Excessive gossiping about fellow members will not be tolerated.
• Anyone creating too much bad drama will be removed from the group.
• Behaving in a manner that suggests a sense of entitlement such as requesting organizers to volunteer too much of their valuable time or expecting them to post your event ideas. Note that you aren't paying a membership fee.
• Stalking other members.
• Bringing outside food or drink to a venue that serves food and/or drinks, unless explicitly stated that it is permitted. This doesn’t apply to hiking or other outside venue events.
• Blocking the main organizer from contacting you.
• Showing up to an event without securing a spot (crashing). Note that members are not allowed to bring a guest to an event unless they secure a spot online for their guest. Some events are limited to members only.
• The same thing holds true for couples who use one profile. Make sure you secure two spots initially if both of you are attending an event.
• Bringing children to an event unless the event explicitly states that kids are permitted. Please don't contact the event organizer and ask them if it is okay to bring children to an event. If it isn't mentioned in the event description, then the answer is no.
• Note that if you register for an event and later want to bring a guest, you will have to give up your spot by going on the waiting list if the event is full. The only other option is to have your guest join the group and add themselves to the waiting list. Please don’t request to bring a guest if you haven’t secured a spot online.
Expected Member Conduct
Members are expected to read the event description and any updates posted by the Event Organizer before attending an event. This helps eliminate the need to ask questions that have already been explicitly stated in the event description. It also keeps expectations in alignment with the event format/structure.
Please use a personal photo where you are recognizable for your profile as we like to know whom we are communicating with and we take attendance at our events. Otherwise you will not be admitted to the group or you might be removed from the group.
In order to receive important emails sent from Event Organizers, make sure that you have the following setting options enabled for this group: ‘Announcement about a specific Meetup’ and ‘Announcement to members about the group’.
When interested in attending an event, you will need to secure a spot online. Note that if you later decide you want to bring a guest to an event that you already signed up for that is full, you will either need to lose your spot and go to the end of the waiting list or you will need to encourage your guest to join the group and add their name to the waiting list. Please don't contact the event organizer and ask to add a guest. This creates too much work and requires too much volunteer time.
There is drinking involved with some of our events, thus our events are for adults 21 and over. If kids are permitted for an event, then the event description will state that they can participate. Otherwise, kids won't be permitted.
Note that we sometimes remove inactive members from the group. We encourage active membership.
Important to Read Regarding Your Legal Rights
Disclaimer for Event Activities and Site Use / Release of Liability
In exchange for participation in the activities organized by the Explore the Bay (ETB) Meetup Group you agree for yourself and your guests (if applicable), to the following:
You are responsible for your own interactions with other members of the ETB Meetup Group. You understand that the group does not do background checks on any of our existing members or on new members joining the group. This site makes no representations or warranties as to the conduct of its members. The organizers and event hosts of this group are NOT liable for any damages whatsoever, whether direct, indirect, general, special, compensatory, consequential, and/or incidental, arising out of or relating to your conduct or anyone else's conduct in connection with or attending an event with the ETB Meetup Group or use of this site. This includes, without limitation, bodily injury and emotional distress. You agree to take reasonable precautions in all interactions with other members of the group, including if you decide to meet outside of an event. In addition, you agree to the group's terms and conditions noted above and to abide by them.
You agree to observe and obey all posted rules and warnings, and further agree to follow any oral instructions or directions given by organizers or event hosts of the group when attending an event.
You recognize that there are certain inherent risks associated with the organized activities and you assume full responsibility for personal injury to yourself and (if applicable) to your guests, and further release and discharge the organizers and even hosts for injury, loss or damage arising out of your attendance or your guest’s attendance of an ETB event, whether caused by the fault of yourself, your guests, or other third parties.
You agree to indemnify and defend ETB against all claims, causes of action, damages, judgements, costs or expenses, including attorney fees and other litigation costs, which may in way arise from your attendance or your guest’s attendance of an ETB event.
You agree to pay for all damages to the facilities caused by any negligent, reckless, or willful actions by you or your guests.
Any legal or equitable claim that may arise from participation in the above shall be resolved under California law.
You agree and acknowledge that you are under no pressure or duress to agree to this and that you have been given a reasonable opportunity to review it before agreeing. You further agree and acknowledge that you are free to have your own legal counsel review this Agreement if you so desire.
YOU HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT AND UNDERSTAND IT. YOU FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT BY JOINING THIS GROUP OR REMAINING A MEMBER OF THE GROUP, YOU VOLUNTARILY SURRENDER THESE CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS NOTED ABOVE.