From monitoring to control and intervention - an introduction to OpenHAB, NodeRED and how to control your home.
As well as realtime monitoring, the emonPi offers an always-on server, providing the potential to manage and control devices around the home. Glyn Hudson, co-founder of the OpenEnergyMonitor project, has been exploring how live energy monitoring data from the emonPi can easily be used to inform home automation systems such as OpenHAB, LightWaveRF and HomeAssistant.
In this session, Glyn will give a brief overview on what's been achieved so far as well as an introduction to the open-source home automation tools that are now integrated into the EmonPi's default installation.
Related Blog posts
* Latest emonPi pre-built SD card inluding nodeRED, openHAB & MQTT
* Working with OpenHAB
* Remote control with LightWaveRF
EcoHome Lab is a hangout for people taking control of their home energy usage and generation. We use open-source hardware and software to gain a better understanding of energy in our homes, how to make the best use of the energy we generate and reduce energy wasted.
Each month we'll expand on our understanding and continue to integrate the open source energy monitoring and whole house energy assessment tools in to different areas of Carbon Co-op's development.
Topics will include:
• Home energy monitoring and developing an open source whole house energy assessment method + carrying out your own home energy assessment.
• Sensors - electricity, gas, temperature, humidity, air quality.
• User interfaces - your smart home on your smart phone
• Integrating Open Data sources
• Taking the power back! - Making better use of the surplus power we generate
• Energy system & Heating control
Who is it for?
- Anyone using OpenEnergyMonitor kit: come and get help making it work better for you or share your knowledge or showcase your project.
- Anyone with skills in physical electronics, web development, interface design or programming who wants to use that knowledge to reduce energy and carbon!
- Anyone! There will be open space for small groups to focus on adding new sensors or hacking the user interface, there will always be a 'newbies' group for people interested in finding out more.
Find out more
• Carbon Coop
• OpenBEM - open source whole house assessment software in development