addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Edmonton Hiking/Walking Meetup Group Message Board › Good Intentions and the Waskahegan Trail

Good Intentions and the Waskahegan Trail

A former member
Post #: 1
Here is my good intention for 2007...

I would like to walk/hike the 235KM of the Waskahegan Trail before the snow flies in 2007. What the heck is the Waskahegan Trail? Well, to be honest, I am not sure but their website is as follows:

http://www.boreal.net...­

Unfortunately a pretty basic site but what is intriguing is the fact that there is 235KM of trails just east of the city. I have sent away for a membership and a trail guide so in a few weeks I will probably know a little more. In the meantime, what is the plan?

Over the course of a number of weekends and evenings lob off 5-40KM chunks at a time with a typically distance probably about 10-15KM. Heck, given the location of the trail and the intended distances one could even do a couple of quick Klicks on a Sunday morning and be back home before lunch!

In terms of logistics, I will post a few days in advance my intent to do a section, its distance and see who wants to join in. I will try to give a good landmark as the starting point and a clear starting time. Who ever is at the starting point starts walking. If you arrive a bit late, start running and catch up; that simple! Heck, after the first good snow storm, we could have a small Waskahegan Wind-up Wing Ding!

Eventually we'll need to think about car-shuttles and the like, but we'll take it one walk at a time. As for the first walk... well that is where good intentions come in. We will either have to wait until the snow is gone, do the city portions (on hopefully cleared walking paths) or consider skiing/snowshoeing sections [given that I own neither, we'll see].

Any takers?
A former member
Post #: 8
I just received the trail guide. Very interesting indeed.

Unfortunately the trail has some breaks but it goes along some lakes and history I never new existed. Hopefully I can snowshoe or ski* portions while there is still snow and then hike the remainder.

* Assuming I can find my coordination, I think I left in a drawer somewhere.

I will keep you posted on sections I intend to complete and see if anyone is interested in doing that stretch with me.

As an aside, for some sections, it looks like you need to be a member of the association. For $10 bucks, very cheap entertainment indeed.