addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-21

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-21

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 11-21

Hello Foodies!

Dumpling Making Workshop and Dinner - This workshop has been filled but get on the wait list and if there's enough interest, we can run another one if we can find a host. The members who host home events, their workshop fee is waived and they can set the time/date of the event. This goes for virtually all home hosted events whether they be wine tasting, cheese making, potlucks, cooking demos, cooking throwdowns or workshops. Security for our home events is much higher than most other groups. I use the same security procedures as we use in my home poker group. My poker group, in over 4 years, has hosted over 1,100 home games where 10-60 members will attend events and the players always have lots of cash with them. We have about 35 home game hosts and 20-40 home events per month. Our hosts have not had a single serious problem.

I have lots of other ideas for home hosted events, both workshops and dining events AND I welcome any event ideas YOU may have. If you have a place that is suitable for entertaining and would like to host an event, please email me. If you live in an apartment or condo that has a nice size rec room with a kitchen, we could do some great events there as well. If your complex has a LARGE rec room, good parking and suitable for large events, even if it requires a deposit, I might also be interested as well.

Darrell's Test Kitchen - Dumpling! After posting our upcoming dumpling event, I decided I would make myself some jioazi potsticker style for an impromptu dinner. I had some lean ground beef, my home made kimchi that I finely chopped, added some Sichuan peppercorn fine ground powder, Korean crushed red chili, sesame oil, cornstarch, salt, pepper and some Liquid hickory smoke. I know, that's faking it... but I love the smokey, bbq flavor it adds. I just used the Thai sweet chili sauce and the Chinese hoisin sauce for my dipping sauces... I was lazy. Results. I was surprised, they didn't have any heat at all! I made 40 of them in about an hour while watching a couple cooking videos. The ground beef was too lean for dumplings but were otherwise delicious. My next batch with the other half of the filling, I may add a chopped jalapeno or Anaheim chile to the mix. That should add some heat and crunch! I'm gonna freeze most of the dumplings that I made saving a batch for some soup w/dumplings in the morning.

Deals Of The Day - LivingSocial - Custom Mobile Auto Detailing $125 for $44

Groupon.com - $25 for $50 Nordstrom's Rack! This is an awesome deal as the Rack's prices are already 20-80% discounted

Frugal Foodies - Post your groupons/vouchers on our forum that you wish to sell, buy or share. It's been working as I've sold a couple here.CLICK HERE

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Daily Deals
Restaurant.com­ 80% Discount - Code = GOBBLE
­LivingSocial - Custom Mobile Auto Detailing $125 for $44
Dealpop.com­ -
Groupon.com­ - 50% off Nordstrom's Rack
BloomSpot.com­ - Napa Truffle Festival
Tippr.com­ -
SocialBuy.com­ - Chiropractor Services 66% off
AtCost.com­
BlackBoardEats.com­ -
Bogopod.com­ -
Greatworkperks.com­
Goldstar­

LAfoodies.org­
AsianFoodies.info

Out To Lunch (OT) - Did you know that the record for summiting Mt. Everest is held by Apa Sherpa.. He's summited it an amazing TWENTY times! The record by a Westerner is Seven times. I've met or known at least 6-7 climbers who have summited Everest including Jon Krakhauer, author of the acclaimed book Into Thin Air who chronicled that fateful expedition where many climbers died. One of those climbers who perished was one of the expedition Leaders Rob Hall, who sent me a post card from Base Camp during that expedition. I was extremely lucky one day at the Pasadena Antiques Flea Market... I found and bought a signed copy of a magazine journal that was autographed by Sir Edmund Hillary and some members of his team just a few months after his historic first ascent of Everest. One of my most cherished pieces of Mountaineering Memorabilia. In my fledging mountaineering days, I was invited to go as support for a group of climbers from my climbing club as they were going to climb Dhaulagiri, the seventh tallest mountain in the world and arguably, the most dangerous 8,000 meter peak to climb. The year previous to my friends expedition, there was a 50% fatality rate and 80% fatality/injury rate... meaning only 20% of the climbers attempting this climb survived without serious injury, permanent injury or health issues. Four of my six friends managed to summit, however one lost most his toes and had to be heli-lifted to safety. The two that didn't summit, never had the opportunity due to weather unfortunately. To date, over 1,200 people have summited Mt. Everest... I just watched a Nat'l Geo video and they had 50 people on the summit that day! You'd think they were at a family reunion... Total insanity! Not exactly a wilderness experience...

Okay, that's it for today!

Darrell Lee
Organizer