addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies & Asian Foodies E-News 12-22

LA Foodies & Asian Foodies E-News 12-22

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT

Hello Foodies!

Heaven & Surf 14 Course Chinese Banquet - Looks like we have about 4 tables this year and we are sold out. No extra seats for walk ins tonight, sorry. Click here to check it out, Remember, it will be a BYOB free corkage for those attending and it will be fun with a White Elephant gift exchange.

Dumpling Workshop Recap - We got off to a late start, but once we got setup, things started happening fast. The natives were restless... and hungry. Good thing we made the won ton soup right off the bat to take the edge off and everyone seemed to enjoy the soup. It's also surprisingly filling because of the won tons... well, several of our dumpling makers used a bit too much meat so they were more gyoza sized than won ton size which is about 1/2 the amount of filling as gyozas. I was surprised as I thought I'd made too much soup, but we killed it pretty easily.

I brought my diamond sharpener and anyone that wanted their knife sharpened got it and some people had some very nice knives. The Germans, Swiss and Japanese were all represented. I member used to work in a high end Italian kitchen and she (Janet) has mad knife skills! One member brought a ceramic knife that I wanted to try out, but we were behind schedule, so I didn't get the chance, dang it.

This was held last night and we really needed a couple more hours to cover all the material that I wanted and to cook some fusion and more variations but we just flat ran out of time which was my fault, sorry gang. The wine was flowing, people were having a great time and we all had lots to eat!

Everyone who wanted could bring home dumplings or the filling and wrappers to make dumplings at home, so it was a fun time that I think everyone enjoyed in our gang of 10. Thank you so much Tara for co-hosting this event and volunteering to let us run the workshop in her big beautiful kitchen in her lovely home. We had about 20 members on the wait list, so I'd like to run another workshop again, but on a weekend, so if anyone wishes to volunteer to host this workshop at their home, please email me.

Restaurant Review

Video of the Day - Crazy Chick with MAD knife skills!

Darrell's Test Kitchen - I'm roasting up a big 5 lb Japanese kabocha squash and I plan to use some for a vegan dumpling filling and the majority for a ginger & roasted kabocha squash soup. I'm also roasting the seeds to snack on. Here's the recipe I found for the seeds. http://bit.ly/ed0fWi...­

Just pulled the kabocha squash from the oven and seasoned it with a bit of S&P and a spoon of Mexicano creama fresca. The roasting really adds a fabulous layer of flavor and it is delicious! I also pulled the roasted seeds out as well, but unfortunately, cracking open nearly a dozen seeds, every time, the green inner seed was split in half making it a LOT of work to eat the seeds. On the plus side, they are delicious with the lovely taste of the squash membrane and the sea salt and EVOO, but it's a lot of work.

Also baking a honey citris glazed spiral ham which I'll cut away at least 1/2 to vacuum seal and freeze and the rest will go to sammies, soup and what not. I may also experiment with a ham/squash dumpling filling. Why not... they go well together on a plate... I suspect they'll taste good in a dumpling.

I'm also planning to make a roasted carrot & ginger soup tomorrow, and as long as I've got the oven going I'll roast the carrots today for tomorrow's soup as it's a cold rainy day, might as well save on the heating bill killing two birds... Ended up with a carrot, ginger, thyme & ham soup. Delicious!

Made a broth from the ham bone and used a package of a 16 bean mix. Simple, filling and delicious!

Deals Of The Day - I just posted 27 Groupons and Blackboard Eats that I wish to sell or giveaway, so use the Frugal Foodies link below to check them out! Some great places! La Cachette Bistro, Mo-chica, Traxx, Gordon Ramsay, Drago and more!!!

Frugal Foodies - Post your groupons/vouchers on our forum that you wish to sell, buy or share. It's been working as I've sold a couple here.CLICK HERE

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Daily Deals

Restaurant.com­ 80% Discount - Code = HOLIDAY
Liv­ingSocial -
Living Social -
Dealpop.com­ -
Groupon.com­ - Indian food Cooking Class WeHo
Tippr.com­
AtCost.com­
BlackBoardEats.com­ -
Greatworkperks.com­
Goldstar­

http://LAfoodies.org...­
http://AsianFoodies.i...­

Out To Lunch (OT) - Google Chrome - They've got lots of cool addons, but they have a few sneaky ones. They have a Right Click URL shortener such as TinyUrl.com but Google would strip out some of the characters in the link. I haven't figured out why, but if you use affiliate links, this might be problematic. Also, all this time and I still cannot print using Chrome and I have to use Firefox or IE.

Darrell Lee
Organizer
A former member
Post #: 3
Pumpkin seeds - I'd recommend cooking Kabocha seeds for longer, at a lower setting, say 300 or so. They are much thicker than other pumpkin seeds, and need more time to dry out, which should keep them from seed from splitting when you open them. You can eat the husk too, if you don't want to fight with removing it. Just adds more fiber.

I love using Kabocha as a substitute for pumpkin. Works in Risotto, or mixed w/ ricotta to stuff shells and manicotti.

Thank you as always for the great food and coupon info!
Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 4,908
Yes, I love the taste of Kabocha better than pumpkin. After roasting it, it becomes like a simple mash and I add a dab of butter and either grate some nutmeg over it or sprinkle some cinnamon over it and it's great. I'm going to make some dumplings with it next.