addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 4,515
A member is planning a Lemoncello making event. I'm not much of a vodka drinking having hated to drink either the Smirnoff's or the really cheap stuff. Anyway, I googled vodka and was astounded that the Russians prefer by 60% "Russian Standard" Vodka. Catchy name eh? They also have a premium product as well. So, I bought a bottle of the standard "Standard" and I'm interested to see if the stuff tastes any better.

Any vodka drinkers... what is your preference?
A former member
Post #: 2
I am not a vodka drinker but I am originally from Russia.
"Russian standard" is considered the best Russian vodka imported from Russia. There is a huge amount of vodka brands there but still "Russian standard" is the best.
Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 4,520
Thanks Shoshana, great to know. When I was young, we raided the folks licquor cabinet and that was virtually always Smirnoff's. But when you are 12-13yo... you don't know the difference... LOL

Food Network Giada's Recipe

Ingredients
10 lemons
1 (750-ml) bottle vodka
3 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar
Directions
Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the lemons in long strips (reserve the lemons for another use). Using a small sharp knife, trim away the white pith from the lemon peels; discard the pith. Place the lemon peels in a 2-quart pitcher. Pour the vodka over the peels and cover with plastic wrap. Steep the lemon peels in the vodka for 4 days at room temperature.

Stir the water and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Cool completely. Pour the sugar syrup over the vodka mixture. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight. Strain the limoncello through a mesh strainer. Discard the peels. Transfer the limoncello to bottles. Seal the bottles and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to 1 month.
Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
Post #: 4,549
Okay, I made a small batch (375ml) using Meyers lemons and after adding the sugar syrup, I had about 4 oz that wouldn't fit in my small bottle so... I had to drink it! It was delicious! Some recipes say to let it sit in a dark place at room temp for several weeks before drinking as that will mellow out the flavor. Well, the stuff pretty damn fine to me... and I'm not a vodka drinker!

So, I'm thinking of making some more infused vodkas... lychee, ginger, vanilla... I have to do something with the remaining 1.5 liters of my Russian Standard vodka that I bought.

Can't wait for my limoncello to mellow on and to try it after it sits several weeks.