addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

L.A. Foodies Message Board Newsletter Archives › LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 9-20

LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 9-20

Darrell
Durrrell
Group Organizer
Springfield, VT
LA Foodies and Asian Foodies Newsletter 9-20

Hello Foodies!

Korean Corn Tea - Okay, I've become addicted to the stuff! I've said before it tastes like drinking liquid popcorn... But usually I've been drinking it ice cold like at Bibigo where they sell it bottled. So this morning while making another 2 liter batch, I decided to add a little butter to the hot tea and yup, you guessed it... taste like hot buttered popcorn! Except without the calories as I use aspartame (Equal) to sweeten it instead of sugar or honey. The Koreans do not make a low cal version because as a nation, they don't have a problem with obesity like the USA.

Panel of Meetup.com Experts - This was a strange attendance... 100% of the ladies were NO SHOWS! I've never seen that happen as there were at least 10 rsvp's by women. This is for a group of Organizers which made it all the more perplexing. I think head's will roll in that group, LOL. This was a very casual event and I think Chris should not have restricted the number as it was full when I mentioned it on our newsletter when in reality we could have accommodated a LOT more. It was a nice afternoon on the lawn in UCLA and it was a rather informal setting. It was great seeing Chris K, Randy, Kenway as it's been years since I've seen them all together in one event. We covered a lot of ground and the contrast/focus/management of each of the large groups were really diverse. DWS aka Drinking With Strangers runs about one humongous event per month where they get 200 to 700 people together and Kenway (and usually together with Randy) host a major night of drinking partying and debauchery. Kenway says his formula/secret is simple... he promotes sex... hookups. He was also complaining there's too many girls and not enough guys that attend his events... go figure? I guess I'll have to go to one of his events soon! But, he does an incredible job of marketing his events... he does a photoshoot with models in costume, creates a great flyer and promotes the hell out of his events. People have a ton of fun at his events so word of mouth spreads and this is why his group is one of the largest most popular groups.

I was reminded that lots of people join our group and other groups because they are new to the area and don't have many or any friends and would like to meet new people. I will admit that at my events, I'm often guilty of not greeting new members or recognizing new members. So, to you new members or members attending your first event... PLEASE introduce yourself to the Event Host and let them know this is your first event or that you are new in town. EH, EO and AO's... We used to go around the table and introduce ourselves and this would help break the ice for new members and we have let this fall by the wayside as we see so many regulars time and again who need no introductions. Let's not forget one of our goals is to meet new people and make new friends when we attend our events. Otherwise, why leave the house?... I could be eating a bowl of ramen watching TV for a tenth the cost of dining out. So... Let's bring back that custom of everyone introducing themselves.

SuNny Says - I entered the Foodbuzz Food Blog contest & am competing with less than 2000 other food bloggers and think I have a good chance to win, because I actually know how to cook. In fact, most of you from my Meetup groups have tried my cooking at a potluck or two or three. So, please vote for me on Foodbuzz. Note that it will require you to join Foodbuzz but it's Free to join. You can vote for me by going to Deglazing the Foodie Terrain
-Edited by Darrell for brevity... you know... those rambling bloggers

VOTE VOTE VOTE - Okay folks... SuNny has hosted countless events with LA Foodies and spent hundreds of hours hosting events so that we could enjoy some awesome food, restaurants, home cooking, wine tastings, pot lucks and the great people we meet in our LA Foodies group. You can certainly take 5 minutes out of your busy schedule to help her... SO PLEASE SUPPORT SUNNY'S BLOG AND VOTE FOR HER DO NOT VOTE FOR ANYONE ELSE. Otherwise, it will dilute your votes. You will be required to join Foodbuzz, I think there's a $10k prize and if she wins, she will cook everyone dinner.... Right SuNny??? JK... SuNny is at a big disadvantage as her blog is relatively new so she doesn't have a large following, so let's see how much power our group has... VOTE for SuNny's blog. To vote, it is a small box just above her banner near the top of the page.

I joined Foodbuzz a couple days ago and I was surprised to find 8 requests to be my "friend" from as far away as Brunei, Palm Beach, FL; Salt Lake City and beyond! Looks like a pretty cool "Floggers" (Food Bloggers) site. I'm gonna post my stuff here now. So when you join, become friends with SuNny and me! Click Here and become my friend.

Burger Kitchen Seats Added - The restaurant seats a bit over 70 and Alan says he can accomodate 40+ foodies. I've asked him if he'd like to join our group and maybe he will create a monthly special LA Foodies event for us. Yesterday he challenged me to get 40 Foodies to attend his event... we did it and we are now at 43! We haven't had a "JAM IT UP" event in a LONG time... So I'm going to remove the seat limit and if you like to attend, but can't at 6:30pm... come by later, say 7:30 or 8pm and I'll see if we can get Alan to extend his HH deals or what... So please... join in the fun! Click here

Let's Share some Culture - I bought the below MOCA Museum deal which was $50. Would anyone like to buy 1/2 of it for $25. Each membership will admit two adults plus the reciprocal museums membership. The membership card would be in your name when we register. Please email me if interested.

Holy Smokes! A 98 point wine for $28? 2007 Icardi Pinot Nero "Nej" - 98 points Luca Maroni from the Annual Guide to Italian Wine... "With fruit reminiscent of Pinot Noir from Burgundy, nuances of velvety rich fruit and tea spice softly enchant the palate. Seductive and enthralling tannins perfectly balance the fragrance of fruit and a subtle scent of oak. Powerful and majestic, this bold Pinot finishes with refined elegance and a note of aged balsamic, cherry, and vanilla." Luca Maroni's'Annuario dei migliori vini italiani' (Annual Guide to Italian Wine)

My Favorite Deals of the Day - Bloomspot Tanzore, an upscale Indian Restaurant in BH. $30 for a Prix Fixe dinner for two. Group friendly. The food looks amazing... not your typical Indian restaurant. Also, 80% Off is back for Restaurant.com. DealPop has a terrific deal $50 off for a Celebrity Food & Style Charity Benefit In Beverly Hills. The star line look incredible. Hobnob with the rich and famous in Beverly Hills.

Frugal Foodies - Many of us have lots of discount vouchers and need someone to share a meal with. Let's create a "clearing house" by members posting restaurants they have vouchers for that they would like to sell, buy or share. CLICK HERE

Upcoming Events - Check out our LA Foodies Calendar HERE­ and our Asian Foodies Calendar HERE­

Daily Deals
Liv­ingSocial.com 20 Low Carb Meals delivered $99
Dealpop.com­ - Tango lessons, S.M.
Groupon.com­ MOCA Dual Membership -50%
BloomSpot.com­ - Tazore Indian Restaurant in BH. Prix Fixe dinner for two. Group friendly.
Tippr.com­ - Fitness Classes
SocialBuy.com­ - Atlantic Bar & Grill Hollywood
AtCost.com­
LivingSocial.com I Panini Di Ambra Bakery 5 Stars @ Yelp!
BlackBoardEats.com­ - Angel's
Restaurant.com­ - 9/20/10 - 80% OFF Promo Discount Code = SHARE
Greatworkperks.com­ - $8 off LA County Fair Tix
Goldstar­

LAfoodies.org­
AsianFoodies.info

Okay, that's it for today!

Darrell Lee
Organizer